Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing roof A/C unit
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing roof A/C unit
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Dave;

I've opened a couple of holes but only found 12V wiring. That was on the 76 and the 77 unit, I've never had cause to open up the 93.

Using a thin fiberglass rod you might be able to fish your way through to where you want to go.

Thats what I woud try, an electricians fish wont cut it.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
With all us new guys joining the site it shouuld be pointed out how important keeping the filter clean in a roof AC unit is. On my first coach years ago I almost replaced the unit before someone clued me in and it froze us out in the Fla Keys that weekend.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I threw the old unit off the roof before I read these other easy ways to offload it. That gravity works pretty good. '84 Regal "Barthalamew"[/B]

Redneck!

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also only have one ac in my 1979 barth which is in the back, they is a plate saying it is wired for ac in the front vent. It has a fan in the vent witch is 12 volt. the 120 is under cover of the vent. I am going to gulfport Ms this next week , I do wish fuel cost was a litter lower. I drove to Natchez Ms lastweek an got 12 miles to gal, but did not run gen. much. this a tough rigs.I wish it had a tag, Good motoring to all. James Helen

Posts: 29 | Location: Alton Mo. | Member Since: 05-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron:
Redneck!

Well, it was broke already! Why wear kid gloves if you're a goat over?

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Job complete. Installing new unit a snap. Weighs about half that of my old '84 unit. Prolly won't last as long either but blowing cold now. (outsourcing obvious)
At least I know it was installed right, prepped to bare metal and used marine GOOP as sealant and it squished out good from around gasket. With all my work traffic on roof, went ahead and applied another coat of CoolSeal over the one applied just a couple months ago by previous owner. Now I sleep during storm, then hunt light switch. :-)>
The barthing dog

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't anyone tell him how to search the archives for the thread about adding kerosene to the AC fan motor bearing zert fitting so it's stop making that awful noise until I could sell it! :-)

Actually DoG, I am impressed that you did that swap out by yourself. I was very aprehensive to tackle the antenna and fan jobs alone myself, so you earned your AC merit badge on this job!

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You take one of the straws-tubes that comes with WD-40 and first fill you mouth with the kerosene then blow the kerpsene thru the straw-tube and into and thru the zerk. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT. Well almost EVERYBODY, NOW EVERYBODY KNOWS.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
A word of warning - Don't try this unless you're a certified blowhard. Most people don't have enough breath to depress the little ball valve in the opening of the zerk, so kerosene sprays all over, but doesn't enter the bearing.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK OK! I concede. I have been out-BS'ed by professionals. LOL :-)

posted Hide Post
Ron/etal, Ya;ll didn't tell me about the kerosene trick. I bet that was all that was wrong my 20 year old Coleman. Got me to wondering if I shouldn't go and do it to the front unit as a PM measure. Has anyone ever thought of areosolizing kerosene. I believe it would sell like hotcakes, as my granddad had a 100 uses for it....everying from keeping the crosscut saw from binding to mixing with stovepipe soot for cuts and wounds. Also used it in a homemade squirt gun to discourge lovesick male dogs from courting his women dogs at times. He prized it almost as much as tobacco spit.
Guess i will pend the next rainy day reading ALL of the archives.
The barthing dog

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
WARNING Do not try this at home. WD40 is toxic if swallowed. Even if not swallowed, your martinis will never taste right again.

However, this lubrication technique is quite safe if the lubricant is:

1. For Regencies, extra virgin, first pressing olive oil. A dash of balsamic vinegar makes it a bit more palatable.

2.For Breakaways, the recommended lube is regular domestic olive oil.

3. Salad oil is fine for Regals.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

I do not appreciate the denegrating remark about Regals.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 15, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Dave, I guess it's the old non-DP inferiority complex coming through. Whenever I park near a Regency or Bluebird, it comes out. I am going out this weekend with my neighbor, who has my old Southwind. That will balance things out a little. Actually, being around any other gas coach gives me a feeling of smug satisfaction, if not superiority.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me being a poor guy and all, I wouldn't mind if my Regal friend, "Barthalamew" ran on old cooking oil.

You fellows surely saw the the mini-doc of the two young lads who tweaked an old gas engine, pickup truck to run off of used fry oil from restaurants? Last I heard, they had left one coast and headed to the other.

You can't cook with first press olive oil Bill. It burns quickly.

I'm having a ball seeing the looks this coach gets, in passing and close up. I love classics.

I started my RV experience with a 16' Casita Deluxe, "Son of Burros". What a joy to pull (1100 lbs w/60# tounge weight. The 1990 Ram Chargher w/ 350K on the original mill and still burning white pipes, the Casita "DOG House", and I cruised at 80 mph on the Interstates, never swaying...........Really well thought out and quality built. Perfect for my weekend rifle match trips and nice for two if she's in the mood. Kept it 3 yrs and got what I had in it within 30 mins of posing on the Casita Forum. I may have to get another to tow for the grandkids! Would really look sharp if the paint jobs were coordinated.

Seems the same with these Barths.......If you treat them right, you can basically can enjoy one just for the cost of upkeep.
Kind'a like wives, huh? Heh, Heh

dog:-)