Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Another mystery device identified
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Another mystery device identified
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted
I had asked Helen Yale what the tiny lt grey metal box was on the steering column. It is at the front of the column, out of the driver's sight, just above where the base of the column has padding and upholstery.
She didn't know what I was talking about. The conversation was by phone after I got home. In retrospect, wish I had arranged to meet with Mrs. Yale before I left the Phoenix area. But it was only later that I formed most questions. I had turned the small knob on the box while driving and while parked. couldn't figure out what is was doing or supposed to do. While parked in the driveway yesterday, I fooled with it again -- key off and key on, still with no clue.
This morning I left for the 60 mile trip to the Cummins shop. At the end of our street I put my right turn signal on and immediately thought "Oh no, now I have an electrical problem". There was no loud, ear-piercing BEEP, BEEP, BEEP to which I had become accustomed in state after state since March 25. looked down and saw that indeed the directional was working. AH HAH! The little box is a turn signal alarm, reminiscent of my 60's - 70's motorcycles, only LOUDER! It had been set at the highest volume until I messed with it yesterday.
sounds almost like a DOT backup alarm.
I'm surprised that I had always returned it to all the way up whenever I had messed with it before. Henceforth, I will be less reluctant to use the signals, now that my ears won't be tortured for so doing.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Those should be mandatory for drivers over 90 in Florida. Roll Eyes

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
They should be mandatory for ALL drivers in Florida. Wink

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Driving instructions in FL. (excerpted from Dave Barry)
Start car.
shift to drive.
turn on left turn signal.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just cover it with layers of duct tape. (same for those annoying blinking panel lights, too)
I don't think those things work anyway, unless the Florida drivers remember to keep their hearing aids turned on!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The big danger from older FL drivers came with the automatic transmission. Now the car shifts out of first.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
The big danger from older FL drivers

careful Rusty you soon will be one

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I often drive without my hearing aids, and find my extra-loud turn signals really nifty. Just two diodes and a Sonalert.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
shifts out of park
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The big danger from older FL drivers came with the automatic transmission. Now the car shifts out of first.

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Another is that the brake pedal can be held down a little, leaving the brake lights on, so you never really know whether they are actually applying the brakes or just riding the pedal.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
so you never really know whether they are actually applying the brakes or just riding the pedal

Neither do they!!

And which one is the brake pedal???? Ooops confusion

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
so you never really know whether they are actually applying the brakes or just riding the pedal

Neither do they!!

And which one is the brake pedal???? Ooops

........Granny said "the harder I pushed on the brake the faster we went until we landed in McDonalds".

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
As an avid motorcyclist, I have learned to watch warily for these dangerous signs:

Blue Hair
No visible head above steering wheel
All Lincoln Town Cars
Most Gran Marquis
Any car with a Mason's Lodge sticker
Landau roofs
"Old Fart" hats prominently displayed in rear window

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
We got rid of the Caddy several years ago.
Lost the Q-tips in Cadillac handle! We can get back to Florida to visit wife's brother now.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
I should not say this but when I was young and stupid I had a switch that turned all the rear lights in certain situations .Worked fine when I need it.
lenny that was back in 1962

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post