Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bosch Fuel Injection Pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bosch Fuel Injection Pump
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Mechanic says I need a new (rebuilt, reman) injection pump for my 5.9L Turbo diesel on 1992 Breakaway. Does anyone have the name of a good, reliable provider? Prices have ranged from $2,400 for reman from Cummins to $1,400 for rebuild from Jobbers Warehouse in Philly. The pump is a Robert Bosch 0402736830. Of course, I'm the typical Barth owner who wants the best at the best price. Am worried about suppliers on the internet who won't commit to price on rebuild, although I can understand their reluctance to make a commitment without inspecting the core return. Thanks.

Virg Hare

Posts: 35 | Location: Buffalo, MO USA | Member Since: 09-11-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
For me, it would be a no-brainer. I will only stand behind a quality rebuilt injector pump. If what I put on fails, the customer will demand that I do it again for free. I would have to pay for the tow and if it's in another state, I would have to pay someone else to do the job again. Most likely, more then I got paid for doing it in the first place.

“The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.” These are words I live by. My reputation is worth more than a cheap part.

On the other hand, if the customer wants to purchase the cheaper part... It's all on them. I'll put it in, they get a labor bill and they deal with all warranty issues on their own.

I can point to many places on the internet that "Looks good" and is cheaper, but none that I would trust. What you are asking is a tough balancing act. I purchase my rebuilds from Cummins. If I installed a Cummins rebuilt injector pump and it fails, Cummins will tow it in and replace it for free.

When I was dealing with an outside source, I used Dick Laing Diesel Service. I never had a problem with them. Their phone number is 800-992-3537 and they are in Binghampton NY.

I stopped dealing with them several years ago, not because I had a problem, they were too far away to give me fast service. I had to send them my pump and it would get rebuilt and then shipped back. 4+ days from breakdown until roll was not making any of my accounts happy. With Cummins, you call and if they don't have it in stock, they'll get it to you the next day.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm of the school that thinks a mechanic should tell you why something needs replaced.

What symptoms were you experiencing? Did your mech run a pressure test and/or check injectors? Even if the pump developed a leak, many times that repair would run much less, involving seal replacement.

Sadly, many "technicians" these days are Parts Replacement Experts. However, if your mech is conversant with diesels, used to watch "I Love Lucy" first runs, has several recent cuts and scrapes on his arms, and has a nametag "Bud", he may be right.

That said, I'm totally with Bill N Y - a Cummins reman will be brought to factory specs, and should have the new seals so you can use ULSD fuel without additives. No telling where an aftermarket rebuild would be done, or how well.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The pump on my 5.9 Cummins is leaking around either the shut down lever shaft or the throttle shaft. Several mechanics that I talked to said leave it along until the drips get so bads that you are leaving more mess then you want! I am leaking engine oil not fuel. If I were leaking fuel, I would replace the pump. It is a royal pain to get the pump out, not so much the pump but to get at the timing button and all the other stuff that has to be removed for clearance.

I also agree with Rusty, the mechanic should disclose why the pump need to be replaced, maybe he did and you didn't include the reason in your post.

Let us know how you make out.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To explain a little more. Got up early Monday of last week to take the Barth in for emission test as it needs to pass the test before the registration can be renewed, which was due on Nov 30. Barth started up right away, idled perfectly, so I left the cab to check that everything was okay before backing out of the garage. Got about half way done with the inspection and the engine began to cough and then died, and would not start again. Called local people who service the unit and they sent out their mobile service tech to get it running. We both surmised it was starved for fuel, so he drained the fuel/water separator, got fuel into the separator again, got fuel to the fuel pump but could not get fuel past the injector pump. Primed the system but still no luck. Sprayed brake cleaner into the air intake while cranking the engine hoping it would get the engine moving enough to pull fuel through but still no luck. (The '92 has mechanical injectors; no ECM.) No fuel was getting to the injectors and hence no fuel into the cylinders. The tech has been a diesel mechanic for 9 years, went to votech diesel school after being a car mechanic for awhile. Says he has rebuilt injection pumps, knows how they work and this one is not working at all. Says a lack of lubricity, or intake of sediment or dirt could have damaged the pump. (Comment about dirt and sediment is a little puzzling as all filters were replaced in March prior to a two week trip to Death Valley.) I was impressed, however, with his use of the word "lubricity" but do wish he could have been named Bud rather than Jonathan. He is a good 'ol boy off a Missouri farm, likes to hunt and eat crawfish etouffee
chased with cold beer, rides motorcycles and will root for LSU to beat Ohio State and that counts for a lot.

Really appreciate your counsel.

Virg Hare

Posts: 35 | Location: Buffalo, MO USA | Member Since: 09-11-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I hesitate commenting on this subject due to others having way more knowledge, but I'm told that some truckers have had to change fuel filters at 300 to 500 mile intervals until this new fuel has "cleaned out" their tanks. Maybe before buying a pump, you might try changing all fuel filters and separators again? Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, Thanks for the advice. Would like to hear what others say about this, too. I've gotten so many conflicting pieces of data about the new fuel. Some say it's no problem and others are not so sanguine. I do use Diesel Kleen as an additive, which is supposed to help. Thanks again.

Virg Hare

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I think there is a long and informative topic on the new fuel somewhere in this forum. Sorry for your frustrations. I hope you can avoid having to get a pump. Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Tom, I wouldn't be to concerned about the "new fuel" I have been a little over 10,000 miles with no problem. Bill N.Y. would be the expert on this. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Surely Jonathan loosened a couple of the injector pipes while cranking the engine to see if fuel appeared. However, the abrupt way the engine quit does reinforce the diagnosis the IP has crapped out (broken shaft, perhaps?).

I have to agree that with the Diesel Kleen additive, lubricity shouldn't be a problem. Sulfur in the LSD (500 ppm) was in a high enough proportion to be an effective lubricant. ULSD apparently contains some higher ends of distillate, which could possibly scour the fuel tanks, but I consider this highly unlikely. In any event, the scouring of the crud in (both sludge and particulates) the tanks would plug the filters.

There have been some reports of the ULSD causing seal damage in some pumps; however, this doesn't seem to be your issue.

I have 12,000 miles on ULSD (using CRC and other additives, now going over to Stanadyne, maker of my IP), with no problems.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help. Looks like I'm on the way to getting a reman or rebuild. One company on internet is Jobbers Warehouse www.jobbersinc.com/american_bosch.htm-- that gives a one year warranty and claims to have been dealing with Bosch fuel injection systems for over 30 years-- will do a rebuild for $1400 but when digging a little deeper are a little evasive about what it could cost if some of the parts are damaged, such as the shaft. Any intelligence on this company? BTW the mechanic told me that his shop foreman has the same engine in his truck and he had to replace the pump after 95,000 and, moreover, pumps usually go bad in the range of 100,000 to 130,000 miles. My Barth has 104,000. Does his info seem right?

Virg Hare

posted Hide Post
Continuing--just for kicks go to the Jobbers Warehouse listing of all the Cummins engines they have in stock. They have a new (mfd 2003) 5.9L turbo diesel that will provide 235,250,305,325 HP with ECM etc. I'm not going this way, but it's fun to fantasize.

Virg Hare

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Johns:
Bill N.Y. would be the expert on this. Tom
Well, now that you've swollen my head Roll Eyes, I guess I have to respond some more. See what happens when you save somebody a couple of thousand dollars. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Toosahn:
Got about half way done with the inspection and the engine began to cough and then died, and would not start again.
To me, this sounds like it could be sucking air or have a weak transfer pump. The Cummins 5.9L has a transfer pump and an Injector Pump.
quote:
We both surmised it was starved for fuel, so he drained the fuel/water separator, got fuel into the separator again, got fuel to the fuel pump but could not get fuel past the injector pump.
This sounds like he did what I would have done. Keep in mind, you can't tell what kind of psi a weak transfer pump is pushing. You can see flow, but how do you know what kind of psi you really have? Did he use any psi testers? The transfer pump will suck fuel, any leaks before this pump will give you a stumble, cough and a no run complaint. More so at an idle when the volume of fuel is the lowest.
quote:
Primed the system but still no luck.
Let's say your fuel system has been reprimed. If you were sucking in air around the primer pump, how would you know?

You know when you have a crack in a straw, you get air bubbles? A bigger crack will give you more air bubbles. A smaller crack/hole will still draw a fuel suction but it will still have air bubbles in it. Diesels hate air in the fuel system. It makes them stumble and cough.
quote:
Sprayed brake cleaner into the air intake while cranking the engine hoping it would get the engine moving enough to pull fuel through but still no luck.
Ok, this sounds like someone who doesn't psi test a system...
quote:
No fuel was getting to the injectors and hence no fuel into the cylinders.
The (IP) Injector Pump will compress air and not allow fuel in. Did he remove the little plug on the side of the IP and bleed out all of the air until it ran out in a steady stream?
quote:
The tech has been a diesel mechanic for 9 years, went to votech diesel school after being a car mechanic for awhile. Says he has rebuilt injection pumps, knows how they work and this one is not working at all. Says a lack of lubricity, or intake of sediment or dirt could have damaged the pump.
It sounds like they sent you a decent guy if all of that is true. I have no reason to doubt it. But there is more that he could have done.
quote:
(Comment about dirt and sediment is a little puzzling as all filters were replaced in March prior to a two week trip to Death Valley.)
If you have algae growing in the tanks and it's made it to the fuel filters you would need to replace the filters... If it ran good and it just died out while idling, I would think not for it being a filter issue.
quote:
I was impressed, however, with his use of the word "lubricity" but do wish he could have been named Bud rather than Jonathan. He is a good 'ol boy off a Missouri farm, likes to hunt and eat crawfish etouffee
chased with cold beer, rides motorcycles and will root for LSU to beat Ohio State and that counts for a lot.
You didn't say what kind of beer. Big Grin

Look, if I was chasing this MH I would have done most of what he did. I would have also done one more thing that has gotten many of trucks rolling after other service providers gave up. Pressurize the entire fuel system...

What shows up as little air bubbles inside of the IP will be pure fuel if you can pressurize the entire suction side of a fuel system. This includes the little plunger seal inside of the primer pump that no one can see. That transfer pump can suck air without any signs of leakage.

Think of it like this... Your soda straw doesn't dribble out pop when you're sucking in air from a crack, does it?

Find your fuel tank vent. With a rubber tipped blowgun pressurize the fuel tank vent tube with air (don't go crazy) pressure and allow your fuel tank to force the fuel from the tank to the head of the IP. Crack open the IP's bleeder and wait until fuel runs out and no air bubbles are there. You don't even need to crank it over like this.

With air PSI still in the fuel tank. Crack open number 1 injector line AT THE HEAD and turn it over for about 5 second. Do another line, and then another line and see what happens.

A fuel leak should develop if you have a suction leak once you pressurize the system like this. A little bit of air in a 5.9L Injector Pump will keep you from running. This would be considered an "Airbound Pump" Let's say you do all of this and it starts up.

Ok, now you'll need to track down a suction side leak. Anything from, and including, the transfer pump to the pickup tube inside of your fuel tank is suspect. My money would be on the transfer pump or primer pump sucking in air.

[12/7 edit to add] Air is thinner than fuel. Sometimes an air suction leak is so small you might not see an actual leak or drip. Now you are looking for somthing that is sweating fuel. These are some of the toughest types of air suction leaks you'll see. This would even try Bud's patience.[end edit]

Could it be your IP? Yep, it very well could. My issue with the mobile mechanic comes from many years chasing trucks and getting them to run by exhausting ALL OTHER AVENUES first.

Installing an IP now sounds like you might wind up with more, less expensive, repairs after they "Fix The Problem". If you had told us that he pressurized the ENTIRE fuel system or had pressure tested the lines... Then, I would be more inclinded to go with an IP. For now, the jury is still out.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I don't got no diesel, but I'm sure glad we got our two Bills from N.Y. & El Segundo.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olroy, You are so right. Nowhere else can one get such good tech advice in clear, understandable terms. This site is the best and we are so fortunate to have it.

Virg Hare