Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wiper Motor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiper Motor
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted
Reading the wiper problem reminded me that we have had a wiper motor problem, just with the left one for the past year. It's never worked right, sometimes intermittently, mostly not at all. We've had two new motors installed, last time being told it was improperly grounded. So we drove off happy, wiper working. But after a week, turned it on.
NADA! (and that is not National Automobile Dealers Association!) So what next? Obviously the guy who's tried to fix it three times doesn't know how. And neither do I. Any suggestions appreciated.
BTW, it's a '95 Regency.

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Try a separate ground strap. Just a piece of wire will do.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, contacts in the switch itself? Don't know if it's feasible, but can you bypass the switch with a temp jumper to see if the wiper performs?

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, send them one of your world famous extension cords. You know the one called "YOU LITE UP MY LIFE" or maybe "YOU LIT UP MY FORMER LIFE". YES we love you ron

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
nuevomex forgive my naivet� because I am not sure how you's guys big honkers work. (technical jargon) but is there a chance it could be a mechanical problem, like a bad spline?

And, a not related question. Do you have just one switch for both windshield wipers and do the work together?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Dearest Barth Honcho (and Honchoette) forgive my naivet� but what the heck's a "spline". (this is Susie) And yes, the right and left wiper have seperate controls. The passenger side (mine USUALLY) works fine. I tell Gary cause I have better karma than he does.

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"ron, send them one of your world famous extension cords. You know the one called "YOU LITE UP MY LIFE" or maybe "YOU LIT UP MY FORMER LIFE". YES we love you ron"

LOL...........hey, I think you're on to something Dale. Some #6 stranded ought to do the trick....

Seriously, if it's a spline/arm interface problem, you should be able to see/hear that from out front. But surely the professionals would not have missed something like that. ??

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
OK guys, Susie and I are usually on the same page but we both use her screen name on Barthmobile.com so perhaps it's time for me to get my own moniker. Thanks for the suggestions. Dave, there are two switches, one for each side, two separate motors, etc. And there is no noise outside (or inside except for a few choice words when the wiper doesn't work!) I like the idea of a separate grounding strap and we'll try that next. At the moment we're having the tires rotated and the guy says they're good for another 20K miles. Sure better than buying a set of new ones at $279 each! Hope to see you all down the road!

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Gary this is a picture of a spline shaft

You wiper arm pushes on to a spline shaft and is held in place by a nut. The spline is part of your wiper motor. I have had two of these strip in my automobile history, first being my 1959 Opal I owned while stationed in Garmish, Germany and on my Barthmobile. The spline does not have to be totally striped for the shaft to spin under the arm. And, you have to look close to see it because ther is probably a rubber boot over the top of it.

Unless you nut is totally loose or your spline is totally stripped (not likely) you symptoms will be sporatic.

Side story, I had a date with a good looking German girl and we went to a dance place in Garmish. (if anyone here has been in Garmish-Partenkirchen you know what I mean. It is party town super sized). Was driving back to drop her off in the pouring rain. This is when I learned about wiper splines and leaking sunroofs. Shux...

------------------
Short cuts always take longer

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 22, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post