Barthmobile Portal
faucet problems

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8941058061

03-23-2004, 06:39 PM
hawkeye
faucet problems
1977 barth p-30 21'..have leaky kitchen faucet..replaced O rings and still leaks..cant find a replacement locally/or on the internet..any suggestions besides replacing with a new sink/faucet or cutting new holes in sink to accomadate new faucet design..thanks..roy

------------------
"The Hawk"
03-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Mark Estep
Hey Hawkeye...Camping world sells replacements.

------------------

Mark & LeAnna
1973 Barth 25 L
402 cid
P30 Chassis
03-23-2004, 07:15 PM
hawkeye
thanks i'll check it out! roy

------------------
"The Hawk"
03-23-2004, 07:57 PM
hawkeye
mark..just talked to tech at campers world...didnt have anything i need..my faucet is just a single knob you pull up and turn l/r..on the sink at center it has to holes about 1 in apart for mouting..behind those holes is another hole (half moon shaped) the the two lines feed thru to go under the sink..it has no 4in/8in centers..sink is attached w/ brackets..thanks roy

------------------
"The Hawk"
03-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Ed Chevalier
Measure the hole spread on your sink. Mine is standard kitchen sink spread. Home Depot or Lowe's would probably be a lot cheaper.

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads
03-23-2004, 08:07 PM
hawkeye
sorry but there is no hole spread...this is not a typical faucet apparently..thanks..roy

------------------
"The Hawk"
03-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Mark Estep
Hmmm...It may well be easier and worth replacing it with a home model. Lowes sells a holesaw bit by Lenox which will cut a 1 1/4" hole in stainless steel for about $10. I used one when I installed a soap dispenser in my new sink.

------------------

Mark & LeAnna
1973 Barth 25 L
402 cid
P30 Chassis
03-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Jack
You may want to take the faucet to a 'real' plumbing supply house and show it to them. It is worth a try. My kitchen faucet is in the middle of a rebuild at this moment and it is a 'Moen' single hole faucet with two knobs of at angles to the main support. Very heavy, very nice, and very rebuildable.

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

03-24-2004, 01:58 AM
hilarlee
I just replaced my "single hole" designed unit with an American Standard unit I purchased at Home Depot. The hole in my stainless sink was a little bit too small so I enlarged it with a skilsaw. I put down masking tape to mark the cutting area and protect the stainless. It's amazing how much a shiny new faucet lights up the room. I went ahead and replaced our bath unit too and the coach feels 10 years newer. Greenlee makes a great hydraulic hole punch set that can safely make a new hole too. I think you can rent them at most good tool rentals.
03-24-2004, 02:25 AM
olroy
My faucet is the same as Jack's, and it has a peculiar problem. Water sprays from pin holes in the underside of the spout, and the chrome there is ready to peel. Also, the knobs are inconvenient (Mama prefers a single handle).

Any advice on a replacement would be appreciated. I'd like to avoid any modification more than enlarging the present hole in the sink.

hilarlee- What is the model of the American Standard unit you used?
03-25-2004, 02:24 AM
hilarlee
Hi Olroy, after looking at my paperwork I see I installed a Delta unit not an American Standard. It's a single handle pullout signature faucet model 470. Home Depot charges $128.00. Note: When I replaced my bath and kitchen faucets the plastic supply lines were too short to reach the new connections on the new faucets. The plastic coach lines offered "no slack" either. I had to purchase a couple 12" flex lines and nipples to make the connections for each faucet. I don't know why suddenly faucet manufacturers are making the brass hookup stems 3" shorter...I guess everything $ adds up. Larry and Heidi
03-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Gary C
Roy-

Our 1975 had a single handle Delta Faucet. I can't remember the model number, but it was a little smaller than the new ones (everything gets bigger with age- doesn’t it). I was a Packaging Engineer for Delta for the past 10 years. Go to any of the "big box" stores (home depot, lowes, menards) and find the 1-800 number for Delta on the package. Give them a call. If in fact your faucet is a Delta, I've known them to send a replacement faucet out within a two-day period (or at least the parts needed to fix it- including spouts that have pin holes). Granted it may not look exactly like your 27-year-old faucet-- but Delta is a great company. They stand behind their product.

Gary
03-27-2004, 07:37 PM
hawkeye
thanks gary..will give it a try!
03-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Bill Stevson
Anyone interested in a new faucet might want to take a look at eBay. There are almost 3,000 faucets up for auction. I saw several single-hole types using a search for "bar faucet". A simple Google search will bring up several plumbing suppliers where you can find photos and retail prices. The lowest retail price I could find on the American Standard 4223s I just bought was $94.52 plus shipping. I got it on eBay for $36.95 including shipping.

------------------

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
454 CID P-30 Chassis
German Shepard Dog

[This message has been edited by Bill Stevson (edited March 27, 2004).]
03-28-2004, 12:44 AM
hawkeye
thanks bill i'll try that too..nice looking coach!! when you have time tell me about the layout..wish mine was a little longer. the nx one will be. thanks again..roy

------------------
"The Hawk"
Celebrating 40 yrs of being a professional musician!!

1977 454 p30 21'