Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof A/C "Failure" - The Cause
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof A/C "Failure" - The Cause
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
My roof air conditioner quit abruptly a couple of weeks ago, parked with shore power. I had tested (there was 12 VDC to the thermostat and 120 VAC at the breaker output), nothing ran - not even fans.

I took it in to the dealer (still under warranty), and the tech discovered there was no 120 VAC at the unit.

So I brought it home, and with the Barth wiring prints, located the bad connector - it had fried. I cut out the connector, hotwired the line to the A/C, and it ran fine.

This connector uses insulation displacement type terminals (even though the insulation was stripped). Obviously, the connection failed and overheated...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When I had to replace my water heater I found Wago Lever Nuts (wago.com) and took out those same connectors you show. They are easy to install and have eliminated the gillotine connection that only pinches wire, common in all coaches. So far I have had no failures and the connectIon stays cool even while the 110 vac is operating at 15 amps.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Wago Lever Nuts look great.

Unfortunately, I haven't located a local source, and need to get the wires reconnected right away, as I have a trip next week.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Wire nuts and electrical tape worked great for me. I had the same type of connector fail, I lost power to my outdoor and bathroom recepts found the wire broke inside the connector.

My connectors have a knife style blade that cuts threw the wire insulation and connects to the copper wire, that is where the wire broke.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I noticed that Sears carries Wago products.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All the Sears links I found were to an outside vendor...$45 each for the 3-conductor.

HD Supply in Gainesville (FL) hadn't heard of them when I called, but then the counterman called back this afternoon and said he could get them from another store. I may stop by there later this week and check out prices.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
$45 EACH? What are those things made of? Methinks that is the price for 100?

They may be good but for that price I could replace the entire harness with new wire!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
$45 EACH? What are those things made of? Methinks that is the price for 100?

They may be good but for that price I could replace the entire harness with new wire!

From looking at other vendors, they seem to sell these in packs of 50. It would be nice if Sears had put that in the description.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The ebay link shows they're available in 5-packs (and more).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Menards has Wago wall nuts $1.69 for 10, the only difference with these are they don't have the lever, you just push the wire in and they clamp the wire with spring pressure. Same company just different design and if you don't care about removing the wires from the connector after installing, these should work great.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post