Barthmobile Portal
Lee, lens guards

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8821048981

06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Willyj
Lee, lens guards
I could not find the lens guards on you link, but found them through google search at the same site...go figure. But, it looks like the same one I found locally, but the mounting holes are 1/8" off. Did you run into this same problem? I noticed the new one has a countersunk mounting hole and the orginal barth is not countersunk. Also, I paid $7.00 for the new one and it does say china on the back. I'm confused. I have drilled out one lens guard and seems that 3/16" pop rivets were used. That size rivet just goes into the new guard fine on one side, but is off by 1/8" of lining up with the hole on the other side.
06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Lee
Hi Willy,

Hmmmm, you might be right on the spacing of the holes - it's been awhile. But AWDIRECT ones worked for me. (Maybe 'cause I was using 1/8" rivets and there was enough slop?...maybe)

At any rate, I mounted them with a small rubber washer between the lens guard & the Barth surface....Helps for a good seal, plus it holds the guard just a tad off the surface to help eliminate the drip mark stains that show-up after a little awhile.

I'd think that a little Kentucky windage with a drill bit would get you lined up enough for a good rivet set....even a rivet washer on the face if ya need to......

...My China dig was more for sarcastic editorial than fact....Even the good ones could be from there I guess...I just know that $7 guards last much longer than $2-$3 ones.....
06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
...My China dig was more for sarcastic editorial than fact....Even the good ones could be from there I guess...I just know that $7 guards last much longer than $2-$3 ones.....

Lee, I live in a Corrosion Test Facility. Chinese chrome doesn't stand up very well at all. When I move away from the ocean, I'm gonna git me a passle of them chrome thangs. And a nice shiny spotlight and a coupla air horns.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
timnlana
Bill:

Boat stuff, like the hose you suggest for the water pump, is often the way to go.

So when you said a set of horns would be nice I thought that a good quality boat horn might be something to look into. I pulled out the Lewis marine book and took a look at the Kahlenberg three trumpet train horn. While the government says my income is well above the norm, the Lewis marine catalog suggests that I am lower on the food chain.

A nice three trumpet set of Kahlenberg "Chimetone" chrome bronze and stainless air horns can be had for $2,771.00 from Lewis marine; this was last year's price it may have gone up a bit as things do. This does not include the compressor, switch or wiring.

Yep inland is looking good.

Timothy
06-13-2006, 02:08 PM
bill h
I think a Nathan train chime would be a little cheaper. Smiler http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nathan-Train-horn-P3-in-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Still over budget for me. I'll probably get the Fiamm 30 inchers or Grover.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
06-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Dave Bowers
Ever see the air kit you need for those Nathan horns.... I would have room for the horns but not the air.