Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 Engine breakdown
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 Engine breakdown
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Last Wednesday, I was bringing my 25' Barth
home to put my new MI plates on, and clean it
up and load it up for a MI Knights of the Highway rally in Saline, MI, when it threw off the generator pulley belt. I immediately pulled off the I-696 X-way shut down the coach. I was towed in to my local Chevrolet dealer. They replaced the belt and the "cooked spark plug wires" and put on the steel spark plug shields that the previous owner had apparently removed. Upon trying to restart, the engine didn't want to run nicely. So, they ran a compression check on the rear two cylinders on both sides of the engine, and found the compression pressures to be in the 60-80 psi range. Then, they called me. I went out to the dealership this morning and with the Truck service mgr verified the compression checks. I was dumb-founded. In my fleet of 12 motorhomes that we tested and evaluated at Chevrolet,
I never encountered this situation. We had engines blow completely, and a lot of electrical troubles on the coaches. Has any of my Barth comrades ever ran into a situation like this? I would sincerely like
to hear from anyone that has had a similar
experience. I wiil let you know what they
find and give you an update.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Bummer Jake! Please do let us know what you find.......Bill

------------------

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jakeofmi:
Last Wednesday, I was bringing my 25' Barth
home to put my new MI plates on, and clean it
up and load it up for a MI Knights of the Highway rally in Saline, MI, when it threw off the generator pulley belt. I immediately pulled off the I-696 X-way shut down the coach. I was towed in to my local Chevrolet dealer. They replaced the belt and the "cooked spark plug wires" and put on the steel spark plug shields that the previous owner had apparently removed. Upon trying to restart, the engine didn't want to run nicely. So, they ran a compression check on the rear two cylinders on both sides of the engine, and found the compression pressures to be in the 60-80 psi range. Then, they called me. I went out to the dealership this morning and with the Truck service mgr verified the compression checks. I was dumb-founded. In my fleet of 12 motorhomes that we tested and evaluated at Chevrolet,
I never encountered this situation. We had engines blow completely, and a lot of electrical troubles on the coaches. Has any of my Barth comrades ever ran into a situation like this? I would sincerely like
to hear from anyone that has had a similar
experience. I wiil let you know what they
find and give you an update.

Jake Jacobson

I assume this is an older engine that has not run much recently. If so, it's possible that the low compression is due to carbon flakes that have broken loose inside the combustion chamber and lodged between the valves and their seats preventing a good seal.

It's also possible that the rings have stuck in their grooves due to gum and carbon. This is a bit more serious but there is still a good chance that in either case, the problem will resolve itself with further running.

Don't jump at an engine rebuild especially if there are no other signs of distress like smoke or excessive oil comsumption.

If I'm right, the compression will return to normal with additional running. Do some frequent oil changes using the best multigrade mineral oil and try a combustion chamber cleaner.

[This message has been edited by bildan (edited June 27, 2005).]

Posts: 7 | Location: Centennial, Colorado, USA | Member Since: 02-02-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jakeofmi:
So, they ran a compression check on the rear two cylinders on both sides of the engine, and found the compression pressures to be in the 60-80 psi range.
Jake Jacobson

I would suggest testing all cylinders, both wet and dry. If it is a valve problem, the wet readings will be the same. If it is a ring problem, wet will be higher.

How does a vacuum gage show? Has it been put on an Allen scope?

What is the mileage?

Bildan could be right on the stuck rings. We should all contribute commentary on our favorite mouse milk for that purpose..

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited June 27, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
How many coliquialisms are ther for lubricants? One persons mouse milk is anothers weasel pee. My choice is Marvel Mystery Oil.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got the answer from my Chevrolet
dealer. The engine is cooked. They didn't tell
me that when the gen belt broke, it tore off
the lower rad hose.

I'm now looking for a rebuilt 454 engine (1986
and before). I've checked out several sources
on the web, and I've got a few local sources
looking. That brings everybody up to date.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that you really asked but: My 1985 which I purchased 2 years ago has a new GM Goodwrench motor that was purchased through Campbell Chevrolet in Bowling Green, Ky. 42104. Their web site is noted at the time to be WWW.campbellchevrolet.com. Hope this information will be helpful to U. If there is any other info you would like from me, just let me know.

Posts: 16 | Location: Durant, Ms, USA | Member Since: 06-02-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
My engine is a new engine that was rebuilt by Jasper Engines. It seems to run with no problems and uses no oil.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran into an interesting situation today. I
called the GM Service Parts Org. order desk
to purchase a 454 Short Block as a retiree,
and the gentleman that I spoke told me that
SPO does not stock '85 long or short blocks
anymore. He said tha he neede one himself, a
year ago, and got it from a Chevrolet dealer
in NY sttate that handles performance parts.
How about that!

Jake Jacobson

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jake, have you considered an ht502?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Earlier I called my friendly GM guy to ask about a 454 Goodwrench crate...he quoted $7500 and choked in doing so. 5 years ago I had one installed and it was $32-3500 as I recall. Dennis's rebuild idea is probably the way to go. Unless you can do Bill's 502.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post