Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Problems Installing New Bilstein Shocks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Problems Installing New Bilstein Shocks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted
Dear Barth Forum members,
I have a short 22' 1996 Chev. chassis Barth in Regency style. I want to replace my Monroe shocks with Bilsteins so I ordered according to the Bilstein catalog: B46-1173 and B46-1587. When I went to install them they don't fit!
Interestingly enough the Bilstein stabilizer BE3-2645 went right on, no problem. But, for the front shocks, the upper mounting bolt on the chassis is too large for the hole in the shock. And, on the rear, the Bilstein came with a permanently attached right-angle bolt and nut on the shocks. But, my chassis has a mounting bolt already welded in place. So, neither the front nor the rear appear to be correct! Does anyone have any ideas? I will be calling the shock supply company tomorrow, for advice, but suspect that this might be a Barth variation. When I purchased the Monroes two years ago, they went right on! Any help would be appreciated.
Allan of Solvang

best regards from,
Allan of Solvang

1996 22' Regal with the Chev. 454 gas engine

Posts: 42 | Location: Solvang, CA USA | Member Since: 07-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Use the Monroe Part numbers to cross it over to Bilsteins. What I find odd is that you were able to purchase Monroes without any problems 2 yrs ago.

I would then suspect that the Bilsteins catalog might be screwed up...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Bill N.Y.
Sorry to bother you with the above message. The information/problem I submitted above about a "Bilstein mounting problem" was as stated to me by the technician who attempted to mount the new Bilsteins at my local "factory certified Chev. Truck and Motor Home and Workhorse service shop."

When I crawled underneath my Barth myself to check out the technician's problem, I found that it did not exist! He had been trying to mount the new front shocks on the rear, and the new rear shocks on the front! Can you believe that? Rear Chev. shocks are long and have simple mounting holes, top and bottom. The front shocks have an upper, right-angle mounting bolt. (When using Monroe shocks, the bolt is provided loose. For the Bilsteins, the bolt is permanently attached to the front shocks, but not even that was an issue.) So, I went to another local shop and they easily mounted the same new Bilstein shocks with no problem. Thanks to Bill N.Y. for responding.
Allan of Solvang

best regards from,
Allan of Solvang

Posts: 42 | Location: Solvang, CA USA | Member Since: 07-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Wow... Eeker That, is not a mechanic.

I hope he doesn't give up his day job to pursue a career in mechanics. Roll Eyes

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Allan, thanks for reporting on this. When I read your post, I was so lost that I had trouble imagining what could be wrong.

I still have trouble imagining the "technician" having this problem. Eeker

I have heard of labor rates for RV repair as high as $150 per hour. I wonder what they pay him.

Anyway, there is a poop sheet on reinforcing the rear upper shock mounts on Pees for the use of Bilsteins. Do you have it? It applies to some Pees and not to some.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill h and Bill N.Y.
Thanks for your replies. The P30s that need reinforcing are the pre-1989 Chev. P30 chassis. I own a late model 1996 chassis/1997 model Barth so no problem for me.

Just for the record for others who may read this, Bilstein includes a box warning and instruction sheet to do a weld to "reinforce the upper OEM shock mounts to prevent fatigue failure" on those pre-1989 P30s. And, Bilstein also says, "DO NOT INSTALL Bilstein shock absorbers to the drive axle of a P30/32 Chev. Mor/Ryde Tag Axle System. Note: Disregard this notice on Ford, Oshkosh, and John Deere Tag Axle Systems." Further they say, "Due to the durability of the shock mounts on the P30 Mor/Ryde drive axle tag Systems, Bilstein does not recommend the use of our standard Drive Axle Shock Absorbers on this system." And, "Single Axel systems: use Bilstein shock Absorbers only on systems which came from Mor/Ryde with Bilstein Shock Absorbers as original equipment."

By the way, the labor rate from both the good and bad shops was $80 per hour! I could have done it myself for free, if I had a pit or lift of some sort. Oh well, as they say, "If you have to ask what it costs, you can't afford a motor home!"
regards,
Allan of Solvang

best regards from,
Allan of Solvang