Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tires for a 91 Breakaway
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tires for a 91 Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
The man says the tires are dry rotted. Don't have the mfg date yet, but assuming they are--
Goodyear G 670 RV or Michelin XRV? I have Goodyear's on my '85 Regal and it had XRV's on it when I got it in '03. But I hear of some sidewall issues with Michelins. Advice sought. Also, dont have the data tag yet so don't know rim width or weight distribution and would be a big help if someone out there does. I'll be in PA in a couple of weeks to pick it up but don't want to wait to have new tires installed.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
dont have the data tag yet so don't know rim width or weight distribution and would be a big help if someone out there does.
Jim

I would suggest loading up the MH to its max and having each wheel weighed. That will both help you buy tires and keep them properly inflated.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Hope you have better luck getting tires than me....
MCR have been searching for 235/80R22.5 tires and report that they are hard to get Smiler

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our Breakaway was originally equipped with 235/80R22.5 but previous owner put 255's on rear---which fit just fine! We are planning to install 255's all the way around this fall.

OOPS-- just noticed your new one is 28 ft--- so I'm not familiar with its sizing requirements

Bud

PS congratulations on the new coach! ! !

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, since you haven't disclosed what you have, it's hard to guess. My 28 uses 19.5x8.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
sorry,rusty. it's a 28' breakaway.1991 think 245x70x19.5 is on there. don't know the rim width
jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most likely Budd wheels with a 6" width.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
hi,
new member here. I have what is titled a 1992 28' breakaway. the build sheet says 1991 but whatever. The vehicle cert from Spartan says Gawr front is 6,000 and 100 psi and the rear is 10,000 and 75 psi. tires were 8.00R 19.5 Wrangler LT L."E" on 19.5 x 6.00 rims. it currently has michelin XZA tires that were manufactured in 1996. as far as the sidewalls look, they look like brand new.
hope this helps,
this website is great and was surprised to see my coach under barth sightings on may 4th.
Ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums!

As far as inflated sidewalls look - generally they're deceptively fine. But they're not. Sixteen year old tires just aren't serviceable.

Michelin has had some past sidewall problems; I'd urge you to replace those tires right away.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for the advice. I never considered having to service them.so far the coach hasn't gone more than 10 miles from our home. just getting used to driving it. new tires will be on soon. do you think that michelin has there problem solved by now or what brand would you recommend?

thanks
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Michelin claims the problems are over. I have Goodyears on the front and Bridgestones on the back.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kenny jorgensen:
hi,
new member here. I have what is titled a 1992 28' breakaway. the build sheet says 1991 but whatever.

...this website is great and was surprised to see my coach under barth sightings on may 4th.
Ken
Welcome to the forums.

Your Barth was built in Sept of 1991 - that makes it a 92 model year.

Is this your coach?

28' Barth: minneapolis.craigslist

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at Michelin XRV 245x70xr19.5 but the tire specs say the rim should be 6.75 to 7.50. Am I going to have to get new rims? The Goodyear G670RV show a rim size of 6.75 or 7.50. Nobody says 6".

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Michelin claims the problems are over. I have Goodyears on the front and Bridgestones on the back.

LOL. A company that denied existence of a problem for years now tells us the problems are over.

I would tell you how much I love my Bridgestones, but different chassis like different tires.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I'm looking at Michelin XRV 245x70xr19.5 but the tire specs say the rim should be 6.75 to 7.50. Am I going to have to get new rims? The Goodyear G670RV show a rim size of 6.75 or 7.50. Nobody says 6".

I have Bridgestone 245s on the front of our Barth. So far so good. They are a high load range, and have stiff sidewalls.

I would not run a Michelin 245 on a 6 inch rim because they have much more flexible sidewalls, and could give you a little wander or instability on the twisties. Actually, even the right size Michelin did that for me. On several coaches.