Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tires
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
8R19.5 tires are 619 revs per mile. Thinking of going to 9R22.5 with 543 revs per mile. This gives me about 74 mph at 2500 rpm. Also 65mph at 2200 rpm. Much more liveable.

I understand that some Breakaways had 22.5" rubber, but mostly has anyone ever done this change.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
HI Gary

You might find that 9R22.5 tires will not fit into the wheel well, also I don't know if there is a wheel that is available in 22.5 size with a 6 bolt Budd pattern. On my Breakaway, in a hard turn, the front 9R19.5 would rub on the backside of the wheel well, I have replaced the fronts with 225R19.5 and they are smaller in diameter and just barely touch now.

I am looking for 19.5 inch wheel that have a rim width of 7 inches so I can go with 245R19.5 which are the same overall diameter as 8R19.5 but would have a lot more meat on the road and I could get "G" rated as well.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you will end up with a permanent overdrive. There is a possibility that you will hurt your first gear acceleration.

Perhaps the owners of six-speed Breakaways can comment on the cruise speed and rpm.

And climbing ability.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
There appears to be a 6 bolt wheel that will fit.

Also found out there is a 3.31 ring and pinon set available.

I realize it will be somewhat slower off the line, but it sets you back in your seat now. But, since we just got this a couple of months ago, I need to hook up the tracker on the back and head east over the mountain here in Yuma to check out the hill climbing ability before making a final decision.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Gary, I just measured my Breakaway and 22.5 wheels and tires will not fit into the wheel opening. 22.5 tires are 37.6 inches in diameter vs. 33.0 for the 8R19.5. That is an increase of 4.6 inches, looking at the radius increase, of 2.3 inches the tire will scrub the rear of the tire area at the back edge of the floor board and will not turn without hitting the edge of the fender well.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post