Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cleaning cast aluminum??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cleaning cast aluminum??
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I finally came across a front license plate holder-fold down step and although the price was right [free]. the aluminum is in bad shape surface wise. Is there a product or method to bring it back to life a little?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3484 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Is it pitted or just oxidized?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it has mostly FLAT surfaces you can file or sand it. I make a lot of my tools and for FLAT sanding I use things like small pieces of wood or metal and glue sand paper on thus making my own sanding block. I have found granite scraps are good for glueing sand paper onto and then RUBBING small pieces on such which will keep the item being sanded FLAT. I am a stickler for BLOCK sanding I use the semi-hard rubber ones too, but they tend to round the edges on narrow stuff. You can sand blast the piece if a lot of curves are involved, and there are some Aluminum liquid cleaners that hardware stores sell that will BRIGHTEN the surface. Of course you can Paint too, but if you are going to step on then you will probably not be happy doing such.

I wish you well.

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited May 22, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
It's mostly oxidized and even mildewy looking in places. I'll try some sanding in some inconspicuos areas and see how that comes out.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3484 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
There are some pretty good aluminum cleaners sold for wheels. One of them might remove enough oxidation to tell you if you will need mechanical means to smooth or polish the metal.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post