Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Am I hurting the A/C?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Am I hurting the A/C?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Removed engine A/C years ago...Roof air is located in rear third of coach, and is normally adequate while driving, but recent heat wave (98-101) has made it less than desirable in driver's compartment while on the road. I closed off rear discharge vanes on the unit with duct tape, forcing all cooled air forwards. This now gives us a gentle cooled breeze while driving, but I'm wondering - am I setting myself up for any potential problems? (No noticeable change is A/C sounds or other signs of strain)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I doubt it.

Years ago, I had a 28 ft fiver permanently parked on the lower Colorado River, with temps over 120 often. It had only one AC. To get enough cool air up into the bedroom, I ran a 4 inch duct from one front outlet to the BR. The other front outlet was closed, as were the rear ones. It worked fine for the ten years that I had it.

At that time, I only had an analog clamp on ammeter, but it showed no increase in the load, and I never had a thermal shut down.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would think the only problem to watch for is freeze up of the heat exchanger inside the coach. My Barth would freeze up on the dash A/C inside the dash heat exchanger. I did a lot of engine radiator rearranging on that rig thinking I could up the performance of the dash A/C. I probably made it worse. I now think the real issue was too small a forward heat exchanger.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Good point on the freeze up. I avoided freeze up by using high fan speed when humidity and temps were high. Medium worked pretty well, but low was inviting a freeze up in high temp/humidity.

Thinking back, the slight increase in plenum pressure caused some bleed-through of cooled air into the intake side where it cooled the intake temp sensor, causing short-cycling. A little dum-dum and duct tape took care of that.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Something I picked up from another website. When in high humidity conditions, run the A/C on high fan rather than automatic. This is recommended by some of he manufacturers to keep the A/C ducts from building up condensation and dripping.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post