Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Solenoids for Cummins 5.9
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Solenoids for Cummins 5.9
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I've read that having a spare continuous duty solenoid as a replacement for the one in the electrical compartment underneath the drivers seat on a 28'Breakaway is a good idea. NAPA part # ST 85 is one of them. What about Cole Hersee? And should the solenoid be self grounding? Isn't there also a fuel shutoff solenoid in the engine compartment that can cause problems? What type would it be? Thought I might buy both as an insurance policy for the '93 Breakaway.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You can use a generic relay for the ignition system - the typical Ford relay will work for most applications but it is not a continuous duty relay. You can take the NAPA number and cross it to a Cole Hersee but you cannot do that with the fuel shutoff. That is engine specific and you best get it from Cummins. I would agree however that you carry a spare because that is the one relay that will leave you stranded and it is an easy fix even on the side of the road.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim you may have missed my message to you, but how fast is your 93 going at 2000 rpm. also need to get my modulater linkage adjusted do you know at what rpm the tranny should be set to up shift ? thanks Paul , presently in Cedar Key

Posts: 87 | Location: fenelon falls ont. | Member Since: 06-27-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey, Paul. Answered your question to the best of my ability in your original post "tranny trouble". Gary Carter is very good at figuring out what speed one should be going at certain RPMs. It does depend on the rear end ratio and the size of your rear tires. Are you running 225s or 8Rs? I think you said your differential ratio was 373?.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
While driving my Barth back from AL, we had the fuel solenoid fail, stalling the coach in the middle of route 84. Heard you can manually force it to work. Had a new one installed and it has worked great since. How long do these solenoids last???

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I just turned 208K and still on the original fuel solenoid. I tried to buy a replacement and all Cummins would sell me was a "KIT" to convert to a later style for $400!

Cost hanger will work if mine fails, then I will deal with the "new style".

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
would this work??/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-98-...em417db69882&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-98-...3D281281992834&rt=nc

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Our's is 20 Years Old also, but during a recent head job, I was able to purchase a replacement boot for ours. The only issue we had with it was dragging to shut off when we switched off the ignition. Silicone spray always cured that but with no boot, it would get cruddy again in no time. Works great now. There is no reason to carry a spare of one of these, as MW Wrench said, a clothes hanger holds it up in the run position until you can replace it if it fails. If any of these continuous duty relays fail, you can always move wires from one side to the other to combine them effectively bypassing the relay to get you to a safe location where you can facilitate a permanent repair.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.