Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    RV not working well in Mesa AZ
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RV not working well in Mesa AZ
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted
It is 109 out and the fridge is jut not cooling, the freezer is near/about at zero but the fridge is nearly warm. The fins in the top of the box are only a little bit cool.

Now I put a fan in the back of the refrigerator outside to blow air over the coils but am wondering if the unit is in need of service. It was working well unit I got into the hot spots this last week or so.

Do units need to be recharged or serviced?

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I think there is hope if your freezer is at 0. All common refrigerators get their "Cold" from the freezer. In other words, there isn't a separate cooling device for the refrigerator section. It could be a freeze up of ice in the passageway or it is most likely a fan that has stopped working. The fan issue could be a thermostat or the fan itself.

You can do some self diagnostics by removing everything from the freezer and poking around to find the fan and the passageway that brings air down to the refrigerator. It could work after a thorough thaw, but that's just if something is blocked with ice.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, you're "enjoying" one of the symptoms of a dying unit. The fins inside the fridge unit should be very cold (below 32°). An IR thermometer can be helpful in determining the temp of the fins and of items in the section.

Placing the fan outside is helpful. Propane is more effective that electric, so try it on gas.

There is also a possibility that the heat chimney - the pipe on the right side of the outside compartment that the burner exhausts into - is partially blocked.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume you have an RV type refrigerator. These have cooling coils in both the refrig and the freezer section. The fact that the freezer is at 0F says the cooling unit is working. If you mean 0C then it is not.

The cooling fan in the back helps. Also keeping your refrig side in the shady side will also help.

Finally if you have a Dometic the cooling fins in the refrig are screwed onto the cooling coil in the back. These need to be tight. In addition there is heat transfer grease between the fin plate and the cooling coil. If this has gotten hard it will not cool properly.

I just shot a thermal thermometer at the back of my cooling fins and they read from 29F to 34F at their base.

Lastly even though your unit should be colder on gas, my cools better on electricity. If you really want to check out the cooling unit run ac directly to the electric heat units, bypassing the control board. No thermostat as it is running full throttle.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Ok Update

The unit got warm, the freezer compartment went about freezing. So we cleaned up the water. Then I shut off the unit for about 10 min. I checked the coils in the back after having the fan blowing on them and they were noticeably cooler. I then turned the unit back on AC and it got cold over night, the outside night temp also went down to a frigid 90. I switched the unit back to gas and it ran fine all day as the temp went up to 112.

I now put it back onto AC and it seems fine again. So what must have happened is the outside temp got too high and there was no air movement over the coils and something got blocked or a bubble got formed, when I gave it some time off it came back to work with a good attitude. I checked and I don't have a fan in the back of the fridge, nor at the top of the exhaust. Next year when I come back I will get one of the DC/thermo fans installed. Or not travel to such hot places.......

Thanks for the input.

The unit may just die anyway it is over 13 years old anyway.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a thermostat froze over with the high humidity? Glad you're back in the cool though.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
hey Cory, gotta stop thinking like a floridian. He is in AZ. Humidity will be running 10-20 percent unlike the 80-90 percent you live with.

Sorry just couldn't help yanking the chain a little.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just can't keep track of him, he's all over the place.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
hey Cory, gotta stop thinking like a floridian. He is in AZ. Humidity will be running 10-20 percent unlike the 80-90 percent you live with.

I don't know the numbers, but during the monsoon season, Phoenix has high humidity. This morning, an hour north of phoenix, the nearby mountains looked hazy from the humidity.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Throw that thing away before it burns down your Beautiful Barth...If it is a 6 or 8 cu ft unit Whirlpool makes a model that is 110 volt and with minor to no cabinet work will fit right in. It is available in Black, White and Stainless. If you do not have an inverter, run your GenSet for about thirty minutes every 6 hours and it will stay plenty cold, best thing is that they are only about $500 @ Lowes. We have done a ton of these conversions away from the self-igniting RV Refers.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.