Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Thinking of purchasing a Barth. I have ??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Thinking of purchasing a Barth. I have ??
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted
Hello. I have been talking to the owners of this 77 Barth(http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6441087061/m/9141064461)
Barth Motorhome and Iam thinking of purchasing it. The owners are not very knowledgeable of the workings of the coach. I am a Auto Mechanic by trade but work mostly on European imports and have no expeerience on Motorhomes. I cant afford the diesal pusher I would like but I am looking for a well made older unit that I can use my mechanical knowledge to restore it. This unit has a 454 and TH400 transmission that I think would be relatively inexpensive to rebuild.
I have a few questions:
Does anyone have an idea what chassis this unit may be built on?
Did they have air bag suspension in 77?
I assume it is lighter than most coaches of the same size because of the aluminium cunstruction, is this true? If so what do you think it weighs?
Any other advice or recommendations would be welcomed.
Thanks. Neil.77 Barth

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Neil,

I have a '78-24'......in answer to some questions:

1. The chassis is a Chevy P-30
2. By comparison, a 24' chassis has a 12.3k gvwr (158" wb)
3. Front air bags were standard, with coils in front, leaf in rear

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
I assume it is lighter than most coaches of the same size because of the aluminium cunstruction, is this true?

Nope. The Barth is built stronger so is heavier than the stick and staple motor homes. The cabinets are solid cherry or oak instead of pukkie-board, for example. I dismantled and gutted my living room and bedroom completely, and it was all solid, straight grain wood. No low cost materials anywhere. No staples or nails, even. All screwed together. By an American craftsman, not an illegal pickup laborer. Barth also usually used a heavier version of the P30 chassis than much of the competition. Does this coach have 16 inch or 19.5 inch tires? The larger tires indicate a heavier chassis.

The best thing about an old Barth, is there is no wood rot, since the body is all metal. The only wood is the cabinetry and the floor.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does this coach have 16 inch or 19.5 inch tires? The larger tires indicate a heavier chassis.

It has the 16" tires... And as far as an update, Our Barth is running like a champ this year. Maybe it was just taking a winter nap? Confused John did some Spring "tuning-up" and golly, it's running like a champ! Gotta LOVE a Barth... So loyal!

Posts: 10 | Location: Indiana, USA | Member Since: 02-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Hello, I bought this Barth on 5/06 and have been lurking for a while now. I just wanted to post an e-mail I sent to the previous owner about my jouney back home and how it a doing now. Barthmobile has been alot of help over the last two years.

Amy,

The Barth is doing good, we used it 5 or 6 times last year. It is still a work in progress but I have it in good running shape with everything working.

The trip back from Indiana to South Carolina was interesting. I left late so I was unable to get tires installed like I had planed on. It had obvious fuel starvation problems right from the beginning. I fought this the whole way back but I found if I kept both fuel tanks full it did OK. The main battery cable shorted out and caught fire before I got out of Kentucky. I was able to pull off a rest area and disconnect the cable before the whole thing went up. A little duct tape and insulation off the water pipes and I was back on my way. In Tennessee the transmission started slipping badly. I pulled off for gas and almost didn't get going again. The trans slipped through the mountains but I was able to baby it and made it to within ten miles of my house before I had to stop at a traffic light at an exit ramp. The Barth stalled and the starter failed so I couldnt get it started. I had to get it towed ($100) so I have no idea if the transmission would have made it the last ten miles. I was mostley worried about the rotted tires but never had a problem. Tell your husband the fuel starvation problem was a combination of rotted fuel hoses and faulty fuel change over valves. I now have two electric fuel pumps (one for each tank) and all new fuel hoses.

What I have done so far:

Reman transmission.

Sealed roof.

Two fuel pumps.

New Carb (Edlebrock)

New ignition wires (second running problem)

Tires.

Brake master cylinder.

Belts.

Repaired dash A/C (need it here)

Replaced all plumbing.

Repaired Black water tank.

Fan clutch

Repaired a bunch of wiring

LP service valve

Removed and cleaned heater

Repaired dash gauges.

Shocks.

Starter.

Many, many hours spent fixing things.

All in all I am glad I bought it but I don't know if I would fly to Indiana again to do it.

Neil.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Yo, Neil: Do you care to post your approximate (sum total) cost to bring it back to current condition? Other prospective Barth buyers will be interested.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
Yo, Neil: Do you care to post your approximate (sum total) cost to bring it back to current condition? Other prospective Barth buyers will be interested.

Gunner, I have not added it up on purpose, it would ruin the fun. I think I have about another 3K in repaires not including labor of course.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Looking for the Fuel Starvation Topic?

This topic has been moved to Fuel Starvation Issue - Moved per request

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post