Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    replacement fuel pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

replacement fuel pump
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
I have been searching on the internet for a replacement fuel pump for my generator set and keep reaching a dead end. I can't even find a model number for the fuel pump.

The info is as follows:
Kohler Generator 7500 watt RV Generator Set
My manuel shows it as model 7.5C21 or 7.5C61 with
an L 654 engine, spec.106271-A.

I think I could use any electric fuel pump designed for around a 25HP engine. I would guess that to be the approx HP for that four cylinder.

Anyone with any info?
Thanks,

Jim

1985 Barth Regency 35FT
Detroit Diesel 225 HP
4 speed Allison trans.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I got mine out of guy in Arkansas. He was very knowledgeable about the Kohler....worked on them for 30 years.... He warned about using an aftermarket as it was probably too high pressure and would cause flooding. I have his number in a file at the office (saw it last week) and can get it Monday...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
K&E
Thanks, I'll be checking back Monday eveing to see if you found it.
I never knew there were so many types of Kohler engines listed (mostly all late models).
I thought I would need one for something like 25HP as anything higher would cause flooding.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
I got mine out of guy in Arkansas. He was very knowledgeable about the Kohler....worked on them for 30 years.... He warned about using an aftermarket as it was probably too high pressure and would cause flooding.

I use a regular aftermarket pump with a separate pressure regulator. Set pretty low.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
I have been searching on the internet for a replacement fuel pump for my generator set and keep reaching a dead end. I can't even find a model number for the fuel pump.

Jim, I put a new fuel "lift" on my genset which I believe is the same as yours? All I did was go to the local Cummins dealer and gave them the model number of the genset... It was NOT cheap but it was in stock and an EXACT fit/replacement part...
I can find the paperwork for you, if need be, with part numbers and price.... Just let me know cause it'll take some digging to locate....

Patch

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This might work for a genset. It looks a lot like the one on my Kohler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-10701/

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5199 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
The company I got my fuel pump from was

Mobile Pump and Generator
501-565-0009 located in ARkansas
I talked with "John".

John is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the Kohler 7000 generator. If I remember correctly, he was a certified Kohler dealer for 30+ years. He could rattle off parts number faster than I could write them down. I wrote down about this fuel pump that it is 1.5 lbs of pressure...extremely low pressure pump....that's why he said not to use a generic electric pump as it would cause the carb to flood...Bill H had a good idea about using a pressure regulator... He also warned me to "do not take the fuel pump apart" I cannot remember the reason why but he was QUITE KNOWLEDGEABLE. His prices were reasonable also and just a really nice person to deal with.

I liked John because he had the parts and knew all about them. Others I called told me they no longer existed etc....

One other I bought parts from was:

"Kim at 315-676-2711" I didnt' write down the name of company. I bought 2 carb kits from her.

Also, I got my starter from:
www.partsfortechs.com

Hope this helps.

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Thanks Patch,Bill H, Steve and K&E,

I did go to the www.partsfortechs.com and found one there looks a lot like mine. I'll have to check it a little closer tomorrow and also make a call to "John" in Arkansas.
If he worked for Kohler that long I'm sure he should know what will work.
Like you said 1.5 lbs of pressure is extremely low.
When I went to replace my fuel filter I found the start of about a one inch split in the hose at the clamp. Sure glad I decided to replace the fuel filter even tho it did'nt need it.
Don't even want to think about gas spraying out with the generator on.

Jim

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
Thanks Patch,Bill H, Steve and K&E,

If he worked for Kohler that long I'm sure he should know what will work.
Like you said 1.5 lbs of pressure is extremely low.

My Kohler runs on an adjustable regulator. Just for fun, I kept reducing the pressure. It ran both ACs on 1/2 psi, the lowest setting on the dial-a-pressure regulator. This was verified on a fuel pressure gauge. I think I have it set at 1 1/2 psi now.

Not really too remarkable when you consider all the Kohler engines running on gravity feed in garden tractors, construction equipment, etc. The carb does not know or need to know the fuel pressure. All it needs is a full float bowl.

My regulator is right at the carb so the fuel in the line is pressurized to prevent vapor lock. Yes, gensets can gen vapor lock, too. At least on long climbs above 100 degrees. My fuel pump is mounted outside the genset compartment for that reason.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I called John at Mobil Pump & Generator in Arkansas and found this guy does know his stuff about Kohler systems.

He ask me what model I had and I started to give him the info and he spoke up and finished with all the numbers and info.
Great guy to talk with and he gave me some helpful advice on how to safely wire it.

So the fuel pump is ordered and on the way.

Thanks again K&E for the help.

Jim Thumbs Up

Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Local mechanic put on the new fuel pump, plus new fuel line and fan belt.

Lightly touch the start button and she fires right off and purrs like a kitten. Smiler

Thanks again K&E.

Jim