Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dang Thermostats and Other Things...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dang Thermostats and Other Things...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
The thermostat on my 4-year old Dometic Penguin roof air malfunctioned last month - set at 85° (to keep the humidity down), had the coach at 72°. The dealer replaced it under warranty, I installed it, and the new one didn't work at all Frowner . So I got a second one from the dealer, and briefly tested it - compressor came on on A/C, heat strip came on on HS.

Monday I cleaned the coach and since it was warm, turned on the A/C - it ran for a minute and popped the breaker, This scenario repeated itself. My suspicion was bad caps, so I replaced them - one lead had nearly come out of the spade, so the effort was worth it. Turned on the A/C, held my hand near the rear vent - and there was heat! I checked the 'stat wiring - nope, it was OK. Disconnected the heat strip, and the A/C worked fine. The new thermostat turns on both the compressor and heat strip!

Oh yeah, there was an additional issue with the Hydroboost system which includes a shaft brake disengaged by an actuator cylinder. This had failed 2½ years ago and the symptom was the P/S reservoir overflowing with air entrainment, like opening a shaken soda can. So I had that replaced.

As a precaution, I test drove the Barth last Monday to make sure I had the air bled out of the system. Still had a little air, so I bled it several times,and all appeared OK - until the last test - reservoir overflowed...so I made an overflow tank out of an ATF bottle, and it's worked fine since - and I can check the level in the bottle's window.

And now the bathroom exhaust Fantastic doesn't work...somewhere I heard, "It's always SOMETHING!"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Fantastic fan is still replacing defective units free of charge,with only shipping charges. Just replaced the bedroom motor and blade as it was real noisy. It sure is nice to see a company back their product and give great customer service!!

Neil

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep -all this one needs is the cutout switch that's turns it off when the cover closes. I repaired it before, and it was about worn out.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
Fantastic-Fan sent me the switch that reverses fan direction and cut-out switch, including complete installation instructions all for the cost of $11 for shipping. Thumbs Up Rare support service.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
They provided excellent service on my SOB when the rain-sensor model had issues. It's one of the few companies in the RV business with a no-excuses policy on accountability.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I recall mentioning, "It's always something!"

I noticed a small oil leak in the hoses to the oil cooler on my last trip; we checked it again when I had the oil changed last week, and the swage on the coupling was leaking worse.

No big deal - remove the hoses and have NAPA make replacements.

So let's see if you can guess where this is going; the necessary tools should be:

- 13/16" Open end wrench
- 7/8" " " "
- 1" " " "

In addition to those, I used:
- 7/8" Crows foot
- 24" Socket wrench (with extender)
- 13/16" Impact socket
- 1/2" Drive 250 lb.-ft. Impact wrench
- Angle grinder with cutoff wheel
- Sawzall
- #6 extractor

Hilarity ensues!

None of the fittings would budge with the "usual" tools. I got one line off at the block using the 7/8" crows foot and a 3' leverage, after cutting the hose to get it out of the way.

Using the angle grinder, I cut the second fitting just past the hex, and put the impact wrench on it. After a few shots, it came loose, because the street ell into the block, brass, had broken! Mad. I planned to have to grind out the broken-off stub, but the #6 extractor required little force to remove it.

I removed the oil cooler to the shop, clamped its fittings in a vise, cut off the hose fittings, and applied the impact wrench - either absolutely would not budge! Mischief

So, anyway, I have the new hoses, and a new oil cooler is on the way.

Changing the battery in my flashlight, however, went very smoothly. mechanic

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Smiler Big Grin cheers Tooling Along Superman
Owning a Barth: P R I C E L E S S

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You gotta be careful what you start! mechanic

Like my "just change the rear main seal job" in April, whoa.. confusion

At least you've got the job behind you! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
If you run out of things to do Bill NY could use you as a road tech. All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sloop John B:
If you run out of things to do Bill NY could use you as a road tech.

I'm going out on a limb and predict it's unlikely that I will...today I replaced the vent cover broken by a branch from TS Beryl and repaired the step well cover extension rail. I also refinished the cabinet in which it's stored. And there are always frame rails to wax and screens to buff.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
And then there's the muffler bearing that needs grease, and the connuter valve needs adjusting...
and of course, the test drives... so little time! mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, darn near forgot the muffler bearing!

Fortunately, the Fnortner coupling has an oil reservoir...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sloop John B:
If you run out of things to do Bill NY could use you as a road tech. All who wander are not lost.

Proof I won't run out: Today I installed the new oil cooler, fired up the engine, and...both hoses leaked at the cooler joint! I suspected there was an issue last night when I attached the hoses, as the hex head seemed to make contact before the flare did.

A quick trip to the local hydraulic place got a through-wall double male fitting, which I used as a depth gage; sure enough, the nipple was about 1 mm too short to engage. Mad

So tomorrow's trip to the Chiefland Star Party is postponed until Monday when I can get the hoses repaired.

It's always SOMETHING!"

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Rusty; Your statement that the new thermostat turned on the compressor and heat strips reminds me of my son's home situation. His light bill after they installed a new AC system was thru the roof. In FL you can get some nice bills in the summer but not that nice. Techs couldn't find anything wrong. So, he called his buddy, who is somewhat of an electrical genius, and he came over and went thru it and noted a high current draw. Turns out same thing. He was running heat strips and AC.

And, the same thing happened to me after a tech did a repair on an upstairs AC when I lived in another city. I noticed it was not as cold and the bill took a leap. Same thing. Apparently not a rare event

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, the adaptor from the hydraulics shop didn't solve the leak; the fittings were fine with the engine cold, but a 7 mile test run getting the engine warmed up showed one was leaking.

So I looked up the specs online, and this cooler is spec'ed with 1/2" female NPT. However, the threads are for 8AN (1/2" flare). I checked to see if it was NPT or 8AN before I installed it. Mad

Anyway I went to my fave online auto parts store (Amazon) and a better replacement will be here Weds. At least I can use the new hoses...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke