Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    screen door possibilties
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

screen door possibilties
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone have any suggestions on adding a screen door to entrance door. Know of at least 2 different models that featured none. Mine is an 83 Barth Regency 35 foot pusher

------------------

Posts: 2 | Location: Port Townsend, Washington USA | Member Since: 06-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Is yours an MCC?

My gasser has no screen door. From what I have seen, the Barths that have screen doors are a different door and frame. I don't know if your door is like mine, but here is what I am planning to do:

The door is no biggie, but the hinge is going to be a pain. I have bought a used door which I will cut to fit the opening. I will make a flange of thin aluminum all around the door to overlap the door frame flange, so the door flange will be between the main door and the frame flange when all is closed up.

As for the hinges, the pin will have to be driven upward through a hole in the awning when the awning is fully extended. After the door is off, three hinge tubes will have to be cut off the door, top, middle and bottom. A cutting wheel on a die grinder or Mototool should do the job cleanly. A strip of bendable (but not too soft) aluminum will be welded to the tubes to make the hinges for the screen door. They will fit in the spaces whence they were removed. Then, assemble it and patch the hole you poked in your awning. Bend the aluminum strips to fit. You will want the screen door to be up against the main door and fit the opening, too. I will probably use double face foam tape to attach the hinges to the screen door until I am sure of the positioning. Then pop rivet the door to the hinges.

OK, talk is cheap, but you did ask for suggestions. Anyway, that is plan A. I suspect I will learn as I go on this one.

My son says "No plan survives first contact with the enemy." He also says, "Why plan when you can just react?"

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I must be lucky. My 33' '90 Regal SE appears to have an off-the-shelf standard RV screen and exterior door. Of course, that doesn't mean they're anything like the quality of the rest of the Barth.

I'm with Bill's son. I draw plans, sketch schematics, develop step-by-step procedures, and at about step two, they're all blown into a cocked hat, and from there I have to engineer as I go.

Drives my youngest son nuts. Of course, he works with high voltage electricity on industrial power systems, and won't go in the door unless he's memorized everything about the system, and has a plan for every move, the locationof every tool, and the sequence of its use before he starts. I suppose that's what keeps him alive.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Roy.........My oldest son is a Navy SEAL officer, and plans the hell out of everything, but knows things will go to hell anyway. The youngest is a CPA, and leaves nothing (like your youngest) to chance.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post