Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    tire check reminder
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tire check reminder
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted
Just a BIG reminder to do a thorough visual check of all tires before you take off -- not just the pressure. We were stopped in Burlington VT by a policeman who said "Hey...did you know you have a tire problem?"

He was right. When we got down on our hands and knees we could see a grapefruit-sized bubble on the inside back tire. Of course it was Saturday and no one was open. Of course our road insurance people needed to be told at least 42 times that it is a motorhome -- special needs here!

The upside is we ended up driving very slowly to North Beach City Campground (lovely place within walking distance of center city along the riverwalk) and waiting until Monday to get the tire replaced.

Upshot is that we had a fine time waiting, have switched insurance to Coach-net, and mostly just want to say that those mudflaps keep secrets. Get down there and look.

This was a Kelly tire which I understand is a wholly owned subsidiary of Goodyear. Not any response from an email to Kelly, nor from one to Goodyear. Will next contact the dealer who sold the tires to the previous owner.

God bless.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hey Betsy and Carl.
Are you guys coming to "the Falls" on this road trip? Sounds like you are not too far away. If you are likely to make it to the Canadian side , let me know. I have a place to park if you want to stay and do the tourist spots.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsy:
Just a BIG reminder to do a thorough visual check of all tires before you take off -- not just the pressure.

I try to run my hands over the sidewalls, too. Hands can detect little bulges better than the eye. Before they become big ones.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Don -- Thank you for the kind invitation. Can we have a raincheck on that? We are already close to St. Mary's in western PA and plan to see if we can find the "giant elk herd" to see. Seems they don't keep the same hours as we do.

Bill H -- good idea. This bubble was on the sidewall and inside too. I will pass the word on to mine hubby.

Love our Barth! Every day in every way we look at each other and say "Boy, are we ever lucky!!" And thank the Lord.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post