Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Intelligenius Inverter Charger Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Intelligenius Inverter Charger Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
I've started a new thread on replacing the 'Intelligenius' inverter charger on my coach as Steve WI successfully, IMHO, closed out the previous thread on the Intellipower 9680. I've established that mine needs to be replaced and due to my wiring I need an Inverter Charger vs a power converter as on other coach models.
Questions:
1) How much wattage do I need in an Inverter Charger?
2) I presume I need a pure sine wave (TV's, DVD, DVR etc)
If I had a 2000W (4000) surge Pro Sine as Steve WI has, and the Cummins was running could I:
a) run the microwave? b) run 1 roof air down the road? without the genset?
I ask all this because Xantrex, the maker of Prosine make an 1800W unit that specs out identical to the 2000w unit for 1/3 the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageNam...IT&item=190278102564

vs:

http://www.globalgpsnavigation.com/inverters-62/xantrex...nufactured-7327.html

Anyone found another brand or wattage output they are happy with for a coach of my size and loads? The Pro Sine 2000 looks a perfect replacement on nearly all parameters, I just wonder if there is another option.

Thanks to all in advance and especially Steve WI for his pictures and data.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The 1800 watt unit is not a sine wave unit. It is what is called a "modified sine wave" unit but basically is a two step square wave output. Yes it will power TVs Stereos, and microwaves just fine, BUT, the microwave will be down on output because the "modified sine wave" does not have the peak output voltage that a pure sine wave unit has. The pure sine wave unit has much better output voltage regulation then the 1800 watt unit has.

I do not think that the 2000 watt unit will power the A/C unit while going down the road. Even with a peak power of 4000+ watts, that is a lot of demand for the inverter/house battery system. That is the other thing, even if the prosine unit will power a small A/C unit, the batteries will require a lot of charging from the alternator. If the inverter were supplying a full 2000 watts and was 100% efficient, that would require 155 amps from the batteries. In rear life that unit at full load would draw 180 amps from the house batteries.

Your alternator would have to be at least 200+ amps just to keep up with the inverter and other house current demands.

I would definitely use the Pro Sine 2000 unit, but understand it's limitations. When I make the change to a pure sine wave unit it will be the Xantrex RS3000 or Prosine 3.0 (805-3030)

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Intelligenius with the Prosine 2000, done my my shop in Abilene. Works Fantastic. I will start another thread to report on it.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
looking at inverters.. currently with coach off have lights only.. do have great ball of wires over drivers seat ..have not got around to trying to trouble shoot all that mess yet as i m running 60% wmo ..and running genny is not that bad .. but would like to trouble shoot this out in the near future . plans are this is my retirement home.21 yrs to go!!

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I have reopened this thread to get some needed info.
We are on the road and the coach has been plugged into cg power (50 amp) continously. The 2 12V house batteries have run almost dry in the last 12 days! They were checked and right up when we left. They are back up to full now after taking about 10 oz. of distilled water each!! I am afraid I may have shortened their lifespan and am taking the coach in to have them load tested on Monday.
We are still on the big old Intelligenius original charger/inverter system. i am going to have that tested to.
It may be time to upgrade.
New batts - 6V Trojan gc batteries.
New charger/Inverter whatever to do the job right!
Any new info., and things to ask about would be greatly appreciated. I am VERY electrically challenged!
Thanks
Don
Currently in Gulf Shores Al.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Don, I have a Xantrex Prosine 3.0 Inverter/Charger. The battery charger goes up 120 amps and is a three stage charger. I leave the coach plugged in all the time and have not had any problems with the batteries. I do check them every month and usually put a little distilled water in them every 2 to 3 months. I have 2 8d's for starting and 2 8d's deep cycle batteries. The inverter was in the coach when purchased. I am glad it was there when I purchased coach, cause it was very expensive. If you do get one, get the remote panel and will give you how many amps you are using or how much it is charging. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post