Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Where to Find a Replacement Water System "Autofill Valve"?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Where to Find a Replacement Water System "Autofill Valve"?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted
The water system "autofill valve" in my 22' 1996 Chevrolet Chassis Barth never worked well. The idea, I suppose, was to turn on the "autofill switch" and to slowly fill the water tank while camped. An overfill alarm would sound. But, the valve installed by Barth was a 12 Volt DC valve intended for use on L.P. Gas, or gasoline. It had a tiny 1/4" orifice and the filling process was very slow. (L.P. Gas Equip. Corp., Arlington Height, IL, Model 7008B) My valve has finally given up, and even after cleaning it once, it now just sticks open. I cannot seem to find a 12 Volt DC water valve anywhere. Any ideas of where I can buy one? Meanwhile, I have just removed it and use a manual filling valve. Unfortunately, I have to lift up the bed platform every time I need to fill the water tank! Advise will be appreciated.
Allan Pacela of Solvang, CA

best regards from,
Allan of Solvang

1996 22' Regal with the Chev. 454 gas engine

Posts: 42 | Location: Solvang, CA USA | Member Since: 07-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would try a 1A575 with a 3PU19 coil from Grainger or something from McMaster-Carr first.

My own preference is a manual valve, however. Simple and reliable. I also have to lift the bed to fill, but we lift it to pack before a trip, anyway.

Let me know if the Grainger valve interests you. I go there fairly often and have an account, and can give one a look if they have it in stock

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Bill h,
Thanks for the suggestions! I tried today at McMaster and could only find AC or 24V DC coils at that company. But, I had forgotten all about Graingers as a source! Thanks, the 1A575 (normally closed) looks just right for a replacement water valve. With 1/4 size pipe threads, I should be able to adapt it just fine. The 3A439 coil, however, is really for 24 V AC. And, Grangers does have a 3PU19 coil for 12 V DC, so the combination of a 3PU19 coil with the 1A575 valve looks like a good one. Do you think so? Looks like I can order from Granger over the web.
best regards,
Allan

best regards from,
Allan of Solvang

Posts: 42 | Location: Solvang, CA USA | Member Since: 07-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 3PU19 is the one to order.

Warning: thread drift and technobabble follows: I am not sure how that other number sneaked into my notes. I suspect that I used it on an earlier project just because I had one. Even though it is 24 volts AC, it worked OK on 12 volts DC after inductive reactance is factored out. Or fairy dust.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To bill h,
I just installed the new Autofill valve, and it works geat! Barth had installed a valve intended for L.P. Gas and it corroded in this water usage. Also, its flow rate was just too slow. Now, the tank fills quickly when I click the Autofill switch. The 3PU19 12 Volt coil with the 1A575 valve is a good solution for anyone who needs to replace the Autofill valve. And, this valve is all brass and stainless and rated for water use. Grangers is a great supplier too.
Allan
P.S. Bill, with all of your great help, I at least owe you a lunch next tine you come through Solvang! Just email me at apacela@pmc.us

best regards from,
Allan of Solvang