Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    electric water heater
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

electric water heater
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
Hi all,
i have the electric water heater with the motoraid feature on my 35' regency. question is this? i have hot water when plugged into landline and when i drive down the highway. no problem. problem is i can't get the thing to work off of the genset????????????? anyone know why? reason being is i'd like to boondock and shower once in a while without starting the engine for hot water. any knowledge out there! thanks

mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there was talk about this same thing in this thread.. https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000307.html

Basically, you are using the water lines from the motor to heat your water while the motor is running. The generator, being on the front of the coach would have farther to run and probably not be near as efficient.

I would think you should just run the hot water heater itself(which would run off your generator or batteries) and this should solve your problem.

Hope that helps, and is a decent enough answer.

*EDIT* - I just REALLY read your message, sounds like you might have a water heater issue? I will defer to someone who is more knowledgable on the subject... seems weird to me that you only get warm water when hooked up to land lines... The hot water from your engine was an option some of us dont have.. hehehe

[This message has been edited by Grouchie (edited August 12, 2003).]

Posts: 10 | Location: Indianapolis, IN,US | Member Since: 07-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
MIke I know that you know this so I hope you are not offended by me mentioning it. However, you have a shore power switch that must be switched to Generator before your AC will kick in under gen power.

Now is your WH exclusively electric and (motor aid) or is it gas also? Another dumb question when you are driving are you driving with your propane open or closed??

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dave, no offense taken. i have been known to do things such as this but not this time. water heater is electric-no propane. works great on shore power. great driveing down the highway. switch to genset and nothing for hot water. everything else works. dah---
i've had the coach for almost 3 years and never tried to use with genset before. seens it should work genset also but what do i know????
p.s. this happened this spring while boondocked in arizona. i'm just now getting around to asking about it. you know, dumb question syndrome. he-he.

------------------
mike foster

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WATERHEATER UPDATE:
o.k. here's what happened. got it working on genset now. on my genset which is underneath up front in a trapdoor type enclosure there is a white light type switch at the upper rear of genset that turns on power to house. this is in addition to the gen/shorepower switch in rear of coach. i knew that! What i didn't know is right behind the white switch there is a black switch that is VERY hard to see. guess what it does. yes and it was off. like i said,DUH... other good news, i found this before the repairman got there, saving face and cash. hope this might help others.
mike

------------------
mike foster