Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    cummins 5.9L 12/24 Valve
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

cummins 5.9L 12/24 Valve
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
was curious on folks that have replaced their 5.9L 12 valve Cummins with 24 Valve ( 6.7L I think..) model? Any differences/difficulties with the swap ( if done that is)

There were several generations of the 12V 5.9 engine with different pumps which ceased production (12V) in 1998 or so..

Posts: 426 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
old thread but have a question in the same vein..

Are rear cummins on rails so they can be moved and swapped more easily? Seems I have heard that somewhere although maybe not in Barth's..

Mike W

Posts: 426 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Not any Barths have anything that would make anything an easy swap of a motor that I am aware of.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1389 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hemi354az (FMC #120)
posted Hide Post
Mike, you might be thinking of the Transit/Bus version of the FMC Motorhome. It had the engine (radiator, 440 Chrysler, 4 speed Allison) mounted "straight fore and aft" on a cradle that could be pulled out. Several of those Transit/Bus FMCs have been converted to "motorhomes" that appear on CL and E-bay from time to time.

The FMC (including Transit/Bus) were made from 1973 to 1976. Later, Barth used the FMC fiberglass body (modified) and frame (stretched) to make the MMC Barth, covered here in this great Website. Lou FMC #120 in Aridzona.

Posts: 36 | Location: Shopsdale, Aridzona | Member Since: 09-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Several of the Spartan/Cummins 8.3L Regencies had engines on rails.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The 5.9B was the engine until 2007 when the displacement was increased to 6.7. The 24 valve heads appeared in 1998 I believe about 2003 the high pressure rail replaced the Bosch pump.

No major reason to go to 24valve heads as you can get 400HP (did it then turned it down) out of the 12valve engine.

As to the engine on rails, that is mostly used in buses. I doubt that many RV users of the 5.9 ever get the worn out stage.

BTW the 5.9 is still in production, just not in an automotive useage. Go look at some combines.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My '93 Gillig Regency has the engine and tranny mounted on rails. Remove the rear bumper, open the doors, disconnect driveshaft and coolant/electrical etc and then get a come-a-long or forklift and pull. Never done it myself but Cat did it to reseal the engine bell housing spacer.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post