Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    cooked brakes
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

cooked brakes
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Just got back from a trip to Canada to find our front brakes, bearings and axle were cooked! The dealer is at a loss to understand what happened. I set the Brake Buddy up according to the directions for a Honda Fit. Never had a problem with the Saturn we flat towed. Anyone have any input?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Are the brakes cooked on the coach or the toad?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
The toad.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
What year, model saturn?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I'm now towing a 2009 Honda Fit.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Fit, I am sure you pumped the brakes with engine off to deplete the brake vacuum before you started to move??. I didn't do that on my first toad and although I caught it quickly it did over heat the brakes some what

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Is pumping them 5 times enough?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
My instructions were to pump the brakes as many times as it took to deplete the vacuum in the booster. DO NOT to start the engine after pumping the brakes.

If it is required to run the engine briefly to recirculate the trans fluids, then must pump the brakes again.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Well, Honda has decided that BrakeBuddy is at fault and Brake Buddy says that my Brake Buddy was working perfectly. So Honda refuses to cover any of the $3000 in repair bills. Remember this when you decide what toad to purchase.

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
What about insurance? Have you explored that route as it appears to fall under the category of an "accident".

I can't see it being Honda's problem. The issue is directly related to the Brake Buddy I'm sure. The question is did it fail or did you fail to set it properly. If you are sure it's Brake Buddy's fault, you could get Good Sam to contact them for you. They publish (I think it's them or FMCA or both) articles where they get the manufacturers to stand up to defects and bad service.

If you think you messed up, insurance or wallet.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I tried the insurance route; no dice. I also noticed that the back brakes were undamaged. AND the brake indicator in the motorhome only lit up when I hit the brakes on the Barth. Weird!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Sad to say, insurance would not apply to the situation. The coverage possibility would be either collision or comprehensive. The collision would be out because there was no collision with an item. Therefore, it would fall back to comprehensive. Comprehensive is basically an itemized coverage so it would not fall under that. It is really in the venue of a mechanical scenario or mechanical failure which would not be covered. Probably also would not be covered under a warranty or extended warranty plan. NOW IF, you had a scenario where the damage was the result of a covered collision or coverage comprehensive claim, then it could be covered. For example, you ran over a tire or hit road debris and it hit the electrical cable coupling on the toad and because of that activated the braking system on the Honda, then that could be covered under the Honda's collision covered subject to the collision deductible.

I know this gets technical, but that's what we are here to help each other with. Likewise, I would call on one of you all with a mechanical question I couldn't figure out.

I had another thought as to the cause. When you push on the brake pedal on a car, don't the front brakes tend to activate slightly before the rear brakes. Could an adjustment have been "too tight" which put a slight activation on the front brakes but not quite enough to activate the rear brakes?

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Interesting point. I just called Honda to ask them how I could tell if the brakes were on IF the brake lights were not on. It's their contention that the brakes were slightly on and that's what cooked them. However, the brake lights were NOT on.

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had another thought as to the cause. When you push on the brake pedal on a car, don't the front brakes tend to activate slightly before the rear brakes. Could an adjustment have been "too tight" which put a slight activation on the front brakes but not quite enough to activate the rear brakes?

I would think the front and rear brakes would go on at the same time, but with biasing towards the front brakes (higher pressure). You would have either a pressure switch or a mechanical switch that engages the brake lights and it might be possible to have some brake pressure without enough to engage the light switch. To "ride" the brakes with a small amount of pressure would also heat them up and make them grab even further perpetuating the problem. I suspect the Brake Buddy as the culprit, it must have applied a small amount of brake pressure that eventually cooked the brakes. Could the mechanical lever have shifted under way to activate some brake? Additionally, how do you know the brake light was not on at times under way?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I tested the brakes several times before getting underway. I also carefully monitor the brake indicator I have on the dashboard. It seldom came on.