Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A&E awning knobs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A&E awning knobs
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
A&E awnings have a black "travel knob" that you tighten to secure the upper awning support when it is erected and when you travel. The earlier ones have a steel threaded shank that can rust and seize up. They need a little lubriplate or motorcycle chain lube every so often. Replacement is 930008, and is stainless steel.

It is a pain to replace a seized up knob and nut.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info bill, I'll get a couple ss ones soon. I also use zip ties on front and rear as high as I can reach when hitting the highway. Strong cheap insurance!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
On a recent trip a SOB was parked along the road with this older guy looking at his motor home. I stopped to find out if I could help him. It turned out that the awning was going to depart the side of the coach. I got up on the roof and fasten the awning to the top brackets. He was very thankful. I remembered some of the posts about awnings flying off our Barths and I didn't want that to happen to this couple. He was very thankful for the help. Barhtmobile.com comes through again.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
Thanks for the info bill, I'll get a couple ss ones soon. I also use zip ties on front and rear as high as I can reach when hitting the highway. Strong cheap insurance!

Danny, securing the arms is good, but does not prevent the awning from unrolling in a high wind situation. You can check that yourself by turning the roller while the arms are up. The lever is supposed to prevent unrolling, but is not reliable.

Here's how I made a holder-downer for my A&E:

Drill a 1/4" hole at 3 o'clock on the outside of the aft end drum. Bend a 3/16" rod with a hook at one end to go in the hole and an eye at the other end. The rod should be long enough for you to reach the hole from the ground. #9 wire works, too. Attach a metal spring (or even a strong bungee) between the eye in the rod and the hole in the base of the arm, using a small chain or cable and an S hook. In use, the hooked end of the rod goes in the hole, the other end of the rod is permanently attached to the spring or bungee, and the spring or bungee is attached to the hole in the base of the arm by means of the cable and “S” hook.

Additionally, an O ring can be slipped over the factory raise/lower lever to provide additional friction to keep it in the "raise" position when traveling.

Pictures on request.

There are several commercial products that work, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My Barth came with a Zip-Dee patio awning. Coming down the switchbacks out of the Siskiyous the year we bought the rig, I heard a big bang and a thumpety-thump.

Certain I had blown a tire, I pulled over. The tires were fine, but the front awning arm had separated from the roller, and fallen down. The bang was the arm hitting the pavement, the thumpety-thump , as it dragged along the roadway.

I tied it up with a bungee cord, drove into Ashland, found a hardware store, bought a two-bit nut & bolt , & bolted it back up. Later I replaced the hardware store bolt with a hardened bolt from Zip- Dee, with a nylon-insert lock nut.

The awning didn't unroll, and I have since augmented the original latch with a pivoting Zip-Dee hook that bolts to the awning case, and hooks into a bracket riveted to the side of the rig.

My shiny chrome top bracket has a scratched-up flat section from dragging on the roadway, but I'm now belt & suspenders, as far as the awning unrolling.

The Zip-Dee hook would be an effective addition for any aluminum-cased awning, but not for fabric.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My Barth came with a Zip-Dee patio awning. Coming down the switchbacks out of the Siskiyous the year we bought the rig, I heard a big bang and a thumpety-thump.

Certain I had blown a tire, I pulled over. The tires were fine, but the front awning arm had separated from the roller, and fallen down. The bang was the arm hitting the pavement, the thumpety-thump , as it dragged along the roadway.

I tied it up with a bungee cord, drove into Ashland, found a hardware store, bought a two-bit nut & bolt , & bolted it back up. Later I replaced the hardware store bolt with a hardened bolt from Zip- Dee, with a nylon-insert lock nut.

The awning didn't unroll, and I have since augmented the original latch with a pivoting Zip-Dee hook that bolts to the awning case, and hooks into a bracket riveted to the side of the rig.

My shiny chrome top bracket has a scratched-up flat section from dragging on the roadway, but I'm now belt & suspenders, as far as the awning unrolling.

The Zip-Dee hook would be an effective addition for any aluminum-cased awning, but not for fabric.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Don't know how the above post managed to go in twice, don't know how to delete the extra.

posted Hide Post
I believe it is an ECHO, don't worry about it.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
That happens to me, too.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
That happens to me, too.

posted Hide Post
I NEED to get my ears checked.

I NEED to get my ears checked.

YES I WILL.

YES I WILL.

Dale

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Jeez, you guys are just eaten up with sympathy.