Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Toads-- Base Plate Fasteners.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Toads-- Base Plate Fasteners.
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
I have heard of few tow bars failing, but have heard of loose base plates, so here are a few thoughts.

Several years ago, I bought a 4WD with a towbar and base plate already installed. I trusted it because I knew the guy and had been out with him a lot. On our first or second trip, I found a couple of loose bolts. Being overly cautious, I had Susan drive it home while I drove the Barth, and did a little redesigning at home. My take on the previously-undiscovered weakness is that the long overhang of a motor home introduced side loads that were never encountered in towing with a short pickup by the previous owner. The longer the distance from the drive axle to the hitch, the more side movement there is in a turn. And, being boondockers, we turn sharp a lot.

With base plates, it is important to monitor bolt security. I would advise retorquing (with a torque wrench) the bolts fairly often for a while after installation. Once they have settled in and do not respond to further retorquing, paint little stripes where the bolt end (or threads) meet the nut or where the bolt head meets the material. Any subsequent loosening will be easily detected by visual inspection. This is common Army and aviation practice. Depending on the installation, you might consider self-locking nuts, Loctite, cotter pins or safety wiring.

On base plates, high quality bolts really count. I get my important bolts from Dorman, race car suppliers, aircraft sources or Unbrako. Home and hardware stores are the last places to buy important hardware.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post