Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air Condtioning Question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air Condtioning Question
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Todd
posted
On my 19' Airflow, I am anticipating Air Conditioning. Many of my friends are putting 5,000 BTU room air condtioners in their travel trailers. They build them into a cabinet & have a grill on the side for breathing & a tube letting the water drain.

Has anyone had experience with a windowless Air Condtioner. I am thinking about the 8,000 BTU Amana. I can vent the exhaust thru the side, put it in a cabinet or leave it on the floor. It would roll in & out of the cabinet When not in use, I could use it in my man cave. Has anyone used one of these?

Todd

Posts: 68 | Location: Bay Shore,New York | Member Since: 03-22-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Being on a low budget we opted for the window unit, 5,000 BTU and cools my 22' trailer and only cost me 88.00 and some good friends to install it. (thanks Nick, Darrel, Rusty and David.)

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone had experience with a windowless Air Condtioner.

These work well, but there are two negatives to the use in a trailer. 1) efficiency - they don't get the advantage of dumping the air up high like a roof air then having it drift to the floor as cold air sink, 2) Space - they take up valuable space in the RV cavity where roof air is mostly outside.

What is your rationale on using this over roof air?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My thoughts... Get a low profile roof mounted a/c unit that also has a heat pump and install it in the roof vent opening.

Space saving - cool and heat in one unit without the need for using propane. I've got 2 in my coach.

Not for everyone as the prices are $600.00+. I do not have any propane and this does double duty - I already pay the park for the electricity so I get heat too if needed.

Here's a thought... Some parking lots replace their roof a/c units (same as an rv unit) every couple of years and they sell their old ones for next to nothing. Like 50 bucks, I know you're in the NY City area so maybe you have an in for this already?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
On my 19' Airflow, I am anticipating Air
Has anyone had experience with a windowless Air Condtioner.

Yes, we have a Sharp CV-P10MX. It is 9500 BTUs, and has the advantage of working well on the quiet and fuel-efficient Honda 2000. We use it in the LR daytime and put it in the kitchen to blow into the bedroom at night if it is hot.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Todd
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
1. Thanks Bill for the picture
2. Roof Air Out of the question Looks on an antique trailer & I've redone the roof. Would be way too much work to do neatly.
3. Window unit. I stayed in a Shasta Compact that had one mounted underneath the counter. It was built in nicely. It cooled that Compact where I thought I was in Alaska. They should be mounted as high as possible.
4. I actually was thinking the windowless would not cool as well. I figured it could serve a dual purpose though. I have a Man Cave(Cigar Lounge) in my backyard. It has everything BUT Air! It was almost a trade off.

I am leaning toward a 5,000BTU unit in one of my cabinets. Most probably above the Hot Water Heater utilizing the door that's there on the outside for the refrig that was there.

Posts: 68 | Location: Bay Shore,New York | Member Since: 03-22-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post