Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water Pump--less noise
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Pump--less noise
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
I separated the body of the motor from its mount and glued it back on with a few thick dots of silicone rubber. I then screwed the base to a small piece of concrete board (for mass loading), which was glued to four small blocks or rubber sponge, which were glued to the floor. This allows the pump to vibrate independently of its mount and the whole assembly to vibrate with two (lower amplitude) natural resonant frequencies without too much noise being transmitted to the plywood floor.

Next step is to isolate the pump from the hard water lines where they connect to the pump's inlet and outlet. I used 3/8 flexible vinyl lines which are coiled into a 360 degree loop. The 3/8 lines are more flexible than larger sizes. I found the 3/8 fittings at West Marine. All vinyl gets hard with age, so I replace it every two years or so.

Final step is to be sure all the hard lines are solidly mounted in rubber lined Adel clamps. This prevents rattling and provides a little more isolation. You will not be able to reach all clamp points, but every clamp than can be replaced with a rubber lined clamp helps a little. A couple of spots did not allow installation of a clamp, so I squeezed in a gob of silicone rubber and allowed it to dry holding the pipe to the floor but not touching it.

Hey, it's a hobby!

This all made my pump so quiet that I had to install a flashing LED on the switch panel to let us know the pump was switched on.

One last touch is an accumulator. It will store pressure so you our yours can flush at night without the pump running. And showers do not pulsate.

One last comment on night time flushing.....we use a kitchen sprayer to flush most of the time. They are very quiet and really save water. We are dry campers exclusively, so water conservation is an issue, and the sprayers are really handy for rinsing dishes, too. Or rinsing after an Army shower.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bill h., I think you and I are alittle alike. We seem to enjoy the challenge, and BUSY work. WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR TYPE ANYWAY? hehehe. FUN IS GOOD.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The accumulator is a really nice addition to the H2O system. "Sounds like" (pun intended) you got the noise thing under control.

Any of you look at the ShurFlo that claims something like 6.5 GPM capability and an adjustable pressure of up to 65psi? Kind of pricey, but tempting non-the-less.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post