Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New Battery Set Up
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Battery Set Up
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
Well here is my planning project for this winter.
I'm boon docking a bit more these days and currently have one bad house battery. This will require replacing the house batteries in the spring, so maybe I'll improve the the system with some modifications.

This post is a request for you folks to send some advice my way on this issue.

I currently have two DEKA RV/Marine 125 amp hour house batteries (to be replaced) and two DEKA 4D start batteries, they may even be 8D's. All I know is that in the tray, the two measure about 24 inches square and are about 8 to 10 inches high. I can't find any labeling except the DEKA name. They are in pretty good shape as measured using my hydrometer, showing fairly equal specific gravity measurements in all cells.

Both battery sets are connected to an isolator and are charged by an Inteli Power, model PD9155 converter charger (55 amps). I am not sure if the alternator also charges both or only the start batteries.

My thinking is to separate the two systems and create independent charging to better maintain both sets of batteries, especially the house batteries. I will probably buy four Trojan T105, 6 volt deep cycle batteries for the house set for next year.

What are your thoughts on this project and what questions and suggestions do you have?

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You are on the right track with 6 volt golf cart batteries. They offer the most for the money, and are easy to find, no matter where you are.

I would agree with you on having the batteries separated, with a paralleling relay only. No isolator. An isolator drops the charging voltage .7 volts, so neither battery ever really gets a full charge. Charging two different batteries in parallel, each with a different state of charge, is never efficient.

Since you are not sure if the alternator charges both batteries, you can read them with a voltmeter while the engine is running.

Does your PD 9155 have the Charge Wizard? Smart charging can extend battery life and minimize genset running time.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Why not just leave it alone and trade the unit? I know of one with a custom table you can get cheap!

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I looked at the coach in question and offered to trade my Barth even for it, but the salesman had never heard of a Barth and wouldn't consider it. I told him he could even keep the custom table as it actually out classed the coach, but he still wouldn't go for it.

bill h,

I'm looking into adding the charge wizard as I currently do not have this added component.

Should I add a separate charger like the Iota DLS 55 amp 12v battery charger? I would use the existing Inteli Power converter/charger to manage the 12 volts for the coach and to charge and maintain the start batteries and the Iota to charge and maintain the house batteries.

I am unsure of how to wire these components separately, yet maintain functionality for both. Do you have any suggestions?

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goodwinw:
bill h,

Should I add a separate charger like the Iota DLS 55 amp 12v battery charger? I would use the existing Inteli Power converter/charger to manage the 12 volts for the coach and to charge and maintain the start batteries and the Iota to charge and maintain the house batteries.

I am unsure of how to wire these components separately, yet maintain functionality for both. Do you have any suggestions?

Bill G

You should be all right with the alternator charging the start batteries and the inverter/charger charging the coach batteries.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited December 03, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h

What is the paralleling relay that you mentioned (a solenoid)? How is it wired?

The set up on my Regency confuses me somewhat as there are some components of which I am unsure of their function. See pictures below.

If you or any one knows what these devices do, please enlighten me.

Sorry abour the image quality, my camera does not do close-ups well.

Bill G

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited December 04, 2005).]

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goodwinw:
bill h

What is the paralleling relay that you mentioned (a solenoid)? How is it wired?

Bill G

Bill, I can only speak from gas Barth experience here. The usual set up is to have a Ford-looking relay (solenoid) controlled by a rocker switch on the dash. It connects the positive side of both battery banks together to allow engine starting if the start battery is low or to allow genset starting if the coach battery is low. The relay looks like a Ford starting "solenoid", but is rated for continuous duty.

BTW, a relay uses an electromagnet to complete an electric circuit of heavy current and is controlled by low current. A solenoid uses an electromagnet to produce "linear mommentum", such as to move a mechanical part. Some solenoids mounted on the starter, such as a GM starter, perform the function of both relay and solenoid.

Relays are often called solenoids, particularly by auto mechanics, so there may by a little confusion here and there. There are also folks who call a little relay a relay and a big relay a solenoid. The Ford thing is technically a relay, but is often called a solenoid.