Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Plumbing leaks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Plumbing leaks
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I just replaced my city water regulator and some of the internal plumbing.
The components available now are the compression valves that push on to the polybutylene pipe. Problem is they still leak slightly when hooked to shore water. I have to use my water tank and pump in the meantime. Anyone know a remedy for this? Some kind of sealant to use with the compression fitting? Or a different connection altogether, and a source for these componenets.

Jack
1988 Barth Regal

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check this site:
http://www.plumbingworld.com/repairfittings.html
Their fitting convert your connections to compression rather than swage as they came originally. These would hold to the max pressure of the pipe itself.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Something that may help and should always be used when hooking to unfamiliar water supplies is a pressure regulator. Mine hooks up between the hose and the coach, but some are built into the city water intake. Cost about 13 bucks.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
When all else fails you can try Rectorseal thread sealant.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"When all else fails you can try Rectorseal thread sealant"
Ed's right; I use Rectorseal #5 myself. Aaand...Rectorseal is always easily removable, unlike normal "pipe dope".
More: "Teflon tape" is a joke. Pieces often come off and flow downstream plugging pipes and pump impellers - I fefuse to use it.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Plastic hardware store fittings I have used, have a threaded collar that slips over the cut end of the polybutylene tubing before you connect the fitting. The fitting itself has a tapered end with a barb, that has to be pushed firmly into the tubing before you thread the collar onto it.

Properly installed, & hand tightened firmly, these fittings won't leak as the threaded collar compresses the plastic tubing onto the taper. On fittings that are buried after they're installed, I've given them a tweak with the pliers, just to be sure, & I've always tested them before I buttoned things up.

Ordinary compression fittings that use a collar that slips over the tubing, & don't have a taper that plugs into the tubing, will leak as the soft plastic tubing compresses when they're tightened.

I'd post a picture of the kind of fitting I use if I knew how to do it, but your hardware store has a full assortment of valves, connectors, elbows, adapters, etc., to fulfill your every need.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your helpful replies everyone.
Happy New Year!!

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Jack, Olroy is right on, the only way to stop your leaks is to use the tubing inserts.

Ralph

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ralph.
A trip to the hardware store is in the works

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis