Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Crapped out...

Closed Topic Closed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Crapped out...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Drove the Barth home from the shop, having had prep work done for a trip next week. Getting ready to turn off the main road, the engine quit. Got it restarted, and made it as far as the next turn, where it quit again. I suspect the oil sender, which powers the lift pump. It requires a special socket to R&R, which will bw in Monday. If that's not the issue, it gets towed to a shop somewhere. Mad

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Rusty, you're the second to get ready or start that is delayed by a glitch. Hope is is as simple as you think!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like me lately, if it's not one thing, it's another. After a trip to the shop, no less… head bang

Hope you get things working again. Maybe bypass the sender? Good luck! mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Ugh. We were coming back from a trip last week, about a 300yds from the Richmond bridge in heavy fast traffic, when ours simply stalled.

My wife was driving. After a few seconds of sheer panic, she pulled over. 10 seconds later and we would have been stopped on the bridge in the driving lane. It started right back up and ran fine for another 45 minutes back home.

I'm thinking maybe she turned the ignition key back a bit when she started it earlier in the day, and the jiggling popped it back to "stop."

Neither of us had the presence of mind to check the key position before she restarted it.

It was a nerve-wracking ride home.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Rusty- you may have an oil pressure safety switch that powers the electric fuel pump. They are universal and available at NAPA. They have 1/8" npt threads. If oil pressure drops they open a circuit to the fuel pump. Could be low oil and air being sucked into the pump or a blockage. Under most applications they are not necessary and you can just use a gauge. The pressure switch has 3 wires while the gauge has just 1. They will come out using water pump pliers in a pinch or you can just use a jumper across the center to the normally closed wire. One wire goes to the starter small post on the solenoid, one to the fuel pump and one to the fuel pump relay.You want the solenoid connected to the relay so when the switch is turned off the pump stops.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I just had the sender/switch replaced; I suspect it is bad, showing lower-than-normal pressure. I have the part in hand, waiting for the special socket to come in.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
waiting for the special socket to come in.
You mean everyone doesn't have one of these just laying around the shop or toolbox. mechanic Smiler

Sorry, Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check back with me tomorrow...yours wouldn't work because it's not deep enough.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Check back with me tomorrow...yours wouldn't work because it's not deep enough.
You have to use a wrench and let the post stick up thru the socket. Also has a second set of flanges inside to fit both size senders.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 6.5L sender is quite tall; the special socket from NAPA worked fine - 2-minute job with the right tool.

As I suspected, the old (new) sender was defective - it came apart when I disconnected the wires.

Barth is up and running! Big Grin Tooling Along

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke