Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Motor aid furnaces
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Motor aid furnaces
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Actually I guess all furnaces are combustion, but anyway, all of us Barthniks have motoraid heaters in our coaches right? I can see the insulated pipes going from the radiator to the rear of the coach an back. And I see a big faucet next to the radiator which I assume is to cut that flow. Does any one do that in the winter. I know that the water is good to 40 below with antifreeze. Does this system require any attention?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Dave; Both of my rigs with the 454 engine had shut-offs and a drain valve at the heater core in the front. On my 1976 I had to shut off the valves in the summer to completely shut down the heat. I think this was due to a faulty heater control valve. On the newer Bearkaway there are no shut-offs but there is a drain value. I believe that this would be the only way you could really flush the system out.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
My 36' 92 Regency has a heater core to heat hot water and another core and blower box in the water compartment, but I'm not sure about the motor aid heater to actually heat the inside of the coach other than the up front controls. I have seen insulated pipes, but thought they were for the hot water tank. Where would Barth have put the controls? Also, I have two small electrical rocker switch's located above the driver side front window. One controls the map light, the other is labeled heater, but I do not know what it does. I have not noticed anything happening when I turn it on.

------------------
William B. Goodwin

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
The other switch is most likley for the engine block heater.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill, on my coach I have a swith on the dash that say Aux Heater, Hi and Low. The hi and low is a two speed fan. We have center twins and the heat exchanger is under the drivers side bed. Whe we are traveling and we need a little warmth, I just flip that switch and bow does it get toasty.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our barth has two heater front and back off the motor.The only thing I do is change ant/freeze,and filter.

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
eric, I would be surprised if the small switch above the drivers window is for the block heater, however you may be correct. It is typical of all of the other 12 volt switches, so I figured it would operate something 12 volt. I'm also trouble shooting the Dayton electric heater in the water compartment. There is a 120 volt electrical switch over the entry door next to the monitor panel with a red light in it. The light goes on when the switch is turned on so that you know that the heater is on. Well, the light go on, but the heater doesn't. All circuit breakers are on so I will need to follow the circuit.

------------------
William B. Goodwin

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Miss L, is there a filter for the heater system? And is the water that circulated through the motoraid hot water heater and the coach heaters the same water that is in the radiator or is it different water?

posted Hide Post
goodwinw,
my switch over the door is for the electric water heater. tells you it is on. only switch for the motoraid is on the center dash. like others' on/low/high knob but mine says air conditioning so may be a replacement.
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
ironsides, My water heater is propane and is turned on by a switch on the monitor panel. Could my water heater also be electric?

posted Hide Post
goodwinw, once again i open mouth insert foot! i must have read your post too fast. my waterheater switch is over side entrance door and is 110v. sounds like yours is for something else entirely. i too have a rocker switch on left lower dash that only lights red when headlights are on? don't know what it's for either. sorry to confuse you more when you're already stumpped on this. i just wanted to help. dah!
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave;I think the filter is a 8.3 Cumming diesel thing(Conditioner)for the coolant for the motor.I think all of the coolant is the same,heaters,hot water heater.My aux heater switch on dash is for motor aid heater in back,for the front motor aid heater is on cab. over head of driver seat.

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have info on a electric heater that could go in a basement compartment thus doing away with the LP furnaces? I would want to hook into the present duct work too. Thank you. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
missliltiny, The switch you have above the drivers seat may serve the same function in my coach. Is it simply labled "heater" with "on" and "off" marked on the switch? When you turn on the switch, where does the heat blow from in the back of your coach? Also how long and what year is your Barth?

------------------
William B. Goodwin

posted Hide Post
The switch by the driver is for the motor aid heater heat in the water comp.with the key on it blown air out from the sofa the second vent.This switch is by the center light switch.For the rear motor aid heater is on dash mark aux heat and is two speed.The switch over the enter door with a red light is for a elect heater in water comp. My switch for elect water heater is in bath room it is a switch like over the enter door,with a red light. 95 Barth Regency 34ft.

------------------
br2409