Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    7.5 Onan
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

7.5 Onan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Sorry to interupt your project Steve but I got a problem with my generator. No voltage on the output to the switch. have double checked the circut breakers on the control panel. Engine runs great. No rats nest in control box, all wiring appears in good condition, nothing seems loose, shore power works fine. got any hints? thanks Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Are you getting output at the generator itself (pre-breakers)?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just got in from under Barth. Hmm... I'm more familiar with the Kohler than Onan. I'll give it some thinkin'. Has it been run recently? See you soon, almost running again here.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I have 22.8 volts before and after the breaker.

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tom, that seems to narrow it down to the shorepower/genset transfer relay. Does shore power work? I ask because the usual default for the transfer relay is the genset, so the usual failure doesn't allow shore power because the relay doesn't engage. It would be odd for it to fail locked into shore power.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If the gen set is only putting out 22 or so volts, The transfer relay will allow shore power to come thru.

What breaker are you measuring the voltage at? The gen set breaker?

If you are measuring voltage at the shorepower transfer relay while plugged in to shore power you should be reading 120 +/- VAC if you as you say the shore power is working OK.

My diagnosis is the gen set not producing voltage.

Need to know exactly where and under what condition measurements are made otherwise diagnosis is difficult.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I measured the voltage at the ac breaker on the gen. I do get 120 at the transfer breaker for shore power. My shore power works fine, thank God, its 92 here at Indy.

posted Hide Post
Got the Coach back with a working Generator. Problem solved by replacing the Bridge-Rectifier part # 305-0696 $ 62.14 and a Suppressor-Voltage part # 305-0703 $ 22.08. IF you ever need Onan service work I suggest Cummins Crosspoint. They are in 4 or 5 States. I used the Hazard Ky Branch. Super pleased with their work and done when they said it would be.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Good job, Tom.Sure miss seeing you all at the gtg. Have a nice week. Anne & Ray

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it going - cheap, too. Thumbs Up

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke