Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What is GVWR of 70's 19-21ft?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What is GVWR of 70's 19-21ft?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey guys,

Just a quick post to see if anyone knows the GVWR of a 70;s 19-21ft Barth.

Im hoping that it is under 9900lbs or less.

Regards,

Mark

batts

Posts: 6 | Location: batts | Member Since: 03-17-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im hoping that it is under 9900lbs or less

...Probably not...My '78-24' w/159" WB has a GVWR of 12.4k...If your unit has the 137" WB, my charts show the most common combo to be 4.3k front and 7.5k rear for a GVWR of 11.8K. There was also a 125" WB, but I don't have any info.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozram:
Hey guys,

Im hoping that it is under 9900lbs or less.

Regards,

Mark

Out of curiousity, may I ask why the 9900 lb figure?

Any, take a picture of your Barth build tag and send it to Nick and he will decode it for you.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply guys,

I havent purchased a Barth yet, I am looking to buy one.

However before i do I need to ensure they made one that is 9900 GVWR or less.

The reason the GVWR is that in Australia I can keep it Left Hand Drive (saving me $40,000usd RHD conversion bill) if:

a) the vehicle is 30 years old and
b) the GVWR is 4.5 metric ton (9920lbs) or less)

Crazy hey, but that is what I am limited to.

I love the styling of the Barth, and was hoping one of the smaller 19 or 21 foot 70's models was 9920 or less!

Anyone out there own one?

Thanks guys

Cheers,

Mark

batts

Posts: 6 | Location: batts | Member Since: 03-17-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee,

I really appreciate those numbers you posted.

I had suspected that the only change I had was the shorter wheelbase 19 or 21 foot models.

Finger crossed they had a low GVWR!!

:-)

batts

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My 24' SOB had a 10K GVW - 4,000 in front, 6,000 rear. The chasses are pretty much the same (this was a Class C built on the heavy Chevrolet G30 cutaway van chassis). I'd think the shorter Barths would be a bit lighter.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I have looked back at some old Data tags and the lightest Barth I can find is a 22 foot at 12,400#. That is of course gross weight and not the actual vehicle weight.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that the very early 19'-21' Barths were frequently Class C, so ozram's hopes aren't completely dashed - yet; I believe most cutaways stayed in the <10K range..

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I really appreciate your help. I saw a old advertisement for the early 70's Barth "A" class which showed a 19 and 21 foot model. Could these be less than the magical 10,000lbs?

Am I correct that there were 19-21 foot "A" class Barths produced?

Thanks again

Cheers,

Mark

batts

posted Hide Post
Something like this.....

anyone own one?

batts

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
GotA Love it. It's a picture of my first Barth, known as Barth I. I then went to Barth II ( 27"r)and now I'm on the "Barthmobile" ( 92/93 Breakaway).

What I wouldn't give to have Barh I back for my kids. There are more and better pictures of this rig burried in the archives somewhere. I've never seen another one of these. Unfortunately I don't remember the GVWR, but it was/is a 20' Class "A", with a 350 chevy on a P30 chasis, AND (this is the part that caused much swetting) a 20 gallon fuel tank. What a trip across Montana I had with that.

Last know position somwhere on the west coast.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, the Barth community really is a small world! I think the Barth is a great look, I just need to keep researching the GVWR issue..

Cheers

batts

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Sorry not to get onto this forum earlier,however if you are still interested,for the record, we have a '77 Barth 21ft and the GVW is listed as 10500 pounds.

Regards Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I don't think you will find one at 9900 in any brand except for a class B. The reason is simple that the mfg would want all they could publish. One of the few times mfgers did something like this was 9.9HP outboard motors. In most states you had to be 16 or something if the HP was 10 or greater, so all the mfgers made a 9.9. Also in MN there were a few urban lakes that forbid 10hp or greater. This is a case of follow the money.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
To ask a different question along this thread, has anyone ever known of a right hand drive Barth? We keep saying they'd build anything, so some rich Limey could have ordered one somewhere along the line.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post