Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    BACK UP CAM
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

BACK UP CAM
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone have any expereance with after market rear view cams? I am looking at the Sony and Voyager units for about $750.00 and wonder what the difference is between them and the lower priced units at about $350.00 All of them spec similar features. Any input as to pro's and con's or recommendations would be great.

------------------
Brad
1977 29' CLASS EH!

Posts: 27 | Location: Langley. BC | Member Since: 09-28-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
My back up cam was replaced with a Sony. The unit measures about 1 1/2"H X 2 1/2"W X 1 1/2"D and was connected using the original cable. It works fine. I did not do this, it was done just before I purchased the coach by the original owner.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
I do not have a back up camera so please be nice.

OK here is the deal, I can buy a new laptop computer and a computer "security" camera for ... well somewhere close to the price listed for a back-up camera.

So what is so special about these back up cameras? The price makes purchasing a dedicated Lap Top computer for the Barth look like a rational move. Or more to the point I can set the Lap Top on the dash and fifty bucks later I have a camera connected that will see a nats bolloch at fifty yards in the dark. Or for fifteen bucks a camera that will work if I have back up lights.

Am I missing something?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My problem is if I used a laptop my kids would always have dvd's plugged into it. I'm also not crazy about laptop on the dash. I would always be reading this form while driving.

------------------
Brad
1977 29' CLASS EH!

Posts: 27 | Location: Langley. BC | Member Since: 09-28-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You can get high-quality webcams for far less than $100 that'll work well in low-light (Phillips Toucam is one that comes to mind). the problem with any that connects to a laptop is the customary connection is USB, and that's good for only 15'. You could connect as many $20, 15', line boosters as needed to get to the rear of the coach.

The laptop makes sense, as it'll have a big screen - resolution on most webcams is at most 640x480, however.

If you don't have USB2, a lower resolution webcam will have the advantage of higher frames-per-second (fps).

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh ya I remember that short cable problem from trying to hook up a security cam at work. Not worth the trouble.

------------------
Brad
1977 29' CLASS EH!

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yup, most of the backup thingies use composite video, which means circuitry on both ends connected by coax.

And they're designed for 12V, which means pricier power supplies at both ends.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Brad & Rusty,
A rear view camera has the image reversed so as to present an image that would be like a rear view mirror.
The security camera (which I tried (X-10)) worked, but the image was not large enough and backwards.
The few hundred spent on a black and white system was well worth it.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the flip-image needed for a rear-view system - with a webcam, laptop, and most software, the image can be flipped...but not security cameras.

posted Hide Post
I think I will go with Model 68-CHNV on the web at http://www.rvcams.com for $395.00 It sounds like a good unit. Hope I don't regret not buying a brand name.

------------------
Brad
1977 29' CLASS EH!

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
In the past two years I've spent more than $395 to replace the camera, and have the monitor fixed twice on my old Sony B&W backup cam. The next time it poops out I'll got the route you're going.

Let us know how your new unit works, and it you're satisfied with it..

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The one you chose has a Panasonic chip - they're usually pretty good - except in low natural light - the IR light should make up for that. It looks like a pretty good deal.

olroy, I've gotten away from Sony also - had one TV quit prematurely, and the three-year-old radio in my van has died...

I think the one funkyway has selected is a good choice (although I don't know that the audio will be useful, it can't be 'liminated for a credit); anyway, I kind of favor it also.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I would like to have a dedicated camera to monitor the tires on the toad. There was a motorhome that burned up because the toad's tires were blown and started a fire. You might need a wide angle fish-eye cam.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That one that funkyway chose has viewing angles of 78 deg vertical, 104 deg horizontal. That should be enough to keep the toad in view.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
...I too, have been considering a "rear-monitor" for my 1990 Regency.

We all do a lot of backing and I work some venues with very tight parking.

I also pull an ATV as one of my work tools and don't even know if it's still back-there, as I can't see-it in my mirrors.

I used to have a 77 GMC and I could see out the back window, but the Barth does not allow-for any rear vision.

...would really like to know how well this unit works for you, as I really do not want to spend too much cash on one.

rM

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post