Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Michelin X-One-XRV tires...?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Michelin X-One-XRV tires...?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Raven1962
posted
My Euro is supposed to have 8-R-19.5 tires on all rims. Currently, since I just bought her, not all rims and not all tires are there, or worth a flip. SOME rims are fine, a few tires look OK, but mostly I'm going to have to replace tires and a number of rims on both the drive axle and the tag axle.

Just happened across an article on the Michelin X-One-XRV and I don't know enough to spit. The claim is for one wider rim and tire to replace a pair, so I would need a set of 4, which might leave me with some spare rims and possibly a decent spare tire for the front.

Does anyone have experience with them? Are they worth the effort? How available are they? Anyoine have a ballpark cost on them?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff F.
Cedar Creek, TX

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good questions! I have no experience with those tires but Michelins are top priced tires in general. I have nothing against any particular tires but consider how you will be using them before spending high dollars.

The vast majority of RV tires are replaced long before they are worn out, due to age. Opinions vary, some say as little as 6 years, others up to 10 years but most will have tons of tread on them. I just replaced 4 tires that were 10 years old. They had no more than 40,000 miles total, 30,000 from me since 2011. They had no sidewall cracks and 80% of their tread remaining…

Most RV drivers don't put on many miles, they don't drive or corner at high speeds or drive on rough roads so any decent tire should do…

I'm not pushing cheap tires but don't waste your money if you don't need to. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
From ForeForum:
asking if they had ever put Xones on a motorhome. The guy behind the counter perked up really quickly and said no but they would sure like to try it. I asked what the price difference would be for this change and it went something like this.

XZ3A's $560 or so a tire
Xones $1080 or so a tire

(...hmmmmmm that is pretty much a strait heat on the rubber cost)

"What about the wheels?" I say.

Wheels were $470 each... OK that's a bit of a show stopper for rubber that does not appear to have a clear advantage in this application. But wait the counter guy says. Michelin is offering up a rebate right now to get folks to switch of $170 per wheel. Hmmm this is getting more interesting! The counter guy then goes out and looks at my wheels and says they are like new and he would give $125 each for them.

OK doing the math here we have $170 plus $250 carry the nine divide by pi... Holy Moly we can get into these things for $100 bucks!!!!

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
colawrvsalvage.com

Surf craigslist too. Sometimes there are ppl gutting an RV cheap.
Personally I would not waste my money on the XOne. Very expensive and no fun on a rutted road. Maybe just some cheapy chinese tires??? Not a friend but in emergency ... We got a decent deal on Kellys a while back.
BTW my price research got $1115 for the XOne and $369 for 240 or 245/70R19.5 Michelin. Not a cheap tire.
Love em so much got 18 of them ;-)

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
http://abilene.craigslist.org/rvs/5065975087.html
Rv part out 1982 Winnebago

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
I'm in a tight, right now, but they're supposed to reduce weight by about 1,000 lbs. (4 w/aluminum wheels vs 8 w/steel), have less rolling resistance, so worth some 2-5% increases in mileage. Supposed to be better for boon-docking (less likely to get stuck in the sand and all)(may actually be a negative, if it means you get stuck further from the pavement). Supposed to give a better ride, especially in windy conditions and on slick roads.

I remember how much I loved my 2-1/2, when I was in the Army, but messing with 10 tires and yanking them off in pairs for brake/tire inspection/maintenance, tire rotations, and all, was really a PITA.

One thought I have had is to make one of those off-road style swing-away rear racks, put a front spare between the rack and the rear wall, with 2 for the rear, hanging out, aft. Not like I'm planning to need full-time access to the generator, anyway.

Later,
Jeff F.
Cedar Creek, TX

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had 2 8R19.5 Michelin XZAs @ ~$245 each installed last OCT.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
If a double goes out you can limp. With a XOne you have a problem there. Plus I would just cry to see a thousand Dollar "alligator" flying thru the air (taking half the coach with it)
Just my thinking

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Plus I would just cry to see a thousand Dollar "alligator" flying thru the air (taking half the coach with it)
Just my thinking

Them alligators can do the job! Never saw a motorhome but a friend had a Pinto station wagon. Left rear tire spun the carcass around, destroyed the vehicle! Took out the entire fender well lining, gas tank filler pipe (which dragged the tank out the bottom!), INSIDE fender, broke window on that side and tail light… Meanwhile something caught the rear brake lines and tore them out. confusion

When he finally got it stopped you could see the rear axle and the ground below it from the driver's seat. This was from a 13 inch tire! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post