Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Morning Heat when dry camping.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Morning Heat when dry camping.
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Just thought I would mention that if you run your genset in the morning to make toast or coffee, you might as well run as many electric heaters as you genset will support.

It will be almost free electricity, since the genset is running anyway. Add up the watts and go for it.

And there is no stress about CO or using up propane.

Edit: I just ran some numbers, and electric heat is 4.4 times less efficient than an unvented propane heater, and approx 3.3 times less efficient than an RV furnace. That is assuming equal price per gallon for gs and propane and a genset using 1 gph.

So, don't even think about running your genset for electric heat. But it is still almost free if the genset is running anyway. The added load of the heaters will increase the genset fuel consumption a little.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited December 26, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, great safety information. I too would rather pile on the blankets rather than run a furnace during the night. Do you have an electric heater you recommend?

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Larry, I have had the same electric heater for over 20 years. It has three heat settings, 500, 1000, and 1500 watts with a thermostat and two or three fan speeds. If it died, I would look for one with the same features. It is amazing what a difference a fan makes. However, for heat, watts is watts. All 1500 watt heaters put out the same heat, around 5000 btus. The fan and thermostat and different settings just make it more versatile and responsive. If you are worried about animals or children or fire, an oil filled radiator will put heat into the coach safely.

In a similar vein, our portable unvented heater(Frankie) has become much more effective since I put an itty-bitty battery operated fan in front of it. I did not have high expections, but the fellow who gave it to me was right about how much difference it would make.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We have always used our gas furnace and have had no fear because we have the detector going. But recently if we plug in I use a little ceramic heater that I bought at Home Depot.

It works really well for our 28 footer with center twins. We just close off the door to the living room.

This next year though I am going to try one of these Buddy heaters from www.mrheater.com.

The one thing I don't like about the furnace and the little electric one is that they make noice. These Buddy heaters are silent (I think).

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 28, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 28, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davebowers:
These Buddy heaters are silent (I think).

Almost silent. Just a slight hissing sound. Can barely hear it up close. It puts out 4000 or 9000 BTUs. 1500 watts electric is about 5118 BTUs.

posted Hide Post
The heater buddy is teriffic. We also use elecric ceramic heaters. Have tried many brands over the years but find that the ones that have a variable speed fan that is tied to heat output are best. We are using Pelonis/DelRain Lifetime furnaces (or so name ceramic heaters) presently. Much better than the ones with thermostats that shut the unit off, these keep a small amount of heat coming at all times (700w to 1500w) depending on room requirements. Fan speed modulates with temperature requirements. I think Vornado makes a similar unit. Keep warm!

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post