Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wiring/Convert from 30 amp to 50 amp service
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiring/Convert from 30 amp to 50 amp service
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Would this be an issue?
Y E S!
You would need to rewire the Barth electric service to be 220.
On my pleasure-Way owners forum, somebody has a bunch of problems because they had an electrician come out and install a 30A receptacle for plugging in their RV. trouble is, the 30A 110V plug configuration resembles a 50A 220V (dryer) plug.
You guessed it -- electrician wired the 30A recep to 220. last I heard, the owner still did not know what all was fried in their Pleasure-Way.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tapping into the 240V dryer circuit is possible, but with MAJOR Caveat! Dryer outlets have 240V + ground (for a 3-prong plug). This does not provide the Neutral necessary for each leg safely providing 120V, because the ground wire, which would operate as the neutral, is generally much smaller than the hot legs, and could start a fire on overload without tripping the breaker. Bottom line: DON'T do it!

I mean this kindly: Since you asked, you're wise enough to know what you don't know...so get an electrician to wire a standard RV 50A outlet, or use the adaptor and live with lower power.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
You are on the right track but The Dryer is 240V 30A.
The RV is wired for 240 volts 50A but the coach does NOT use both legs of the 240V for any one circuit. There are RARE exceptions where the coach could have a 240 volt clothes dryer. Do not use the normal RV 30-50A adapter. This adapter is wired internally to supply 120 volts to both legs of the 240V 50A plug. Of course the amperage available to the coach is cut in half by supplying both legs off one 30A 120V breaker. Most dryer plugs are 3 prong. They have 2 "hots" and a neutral. There is not an equipment ground unless it is a 4 prong plug. The 50A plug on a RV is a 4 prong plug.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have 2 "hots" and a neutral.

NO! They have 2 hots and a GROUND.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A proper 50 amp RV connection has two hot legs, one neutral and one ground.

Whether a three prong outlet has two hots and a neutral or two hots and a ground depends on the shape of the non-hot hole. U shaped is one way and L shaped is another. I forgot which is which, but some of it depends on who wired what and when. There are some surprising setups out there. I would check before going any farther.

Any connection of the two could be unsafe and illegal.

If the non hot hole is neutral, providing a separate ground would still be illegal, but could be safe if done properly and monitored.

With this set up, you would still have 30 amps, and would probably be only able to use one AC at a time.

Take Rusty's advice on checking with an electrician.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Just to add to the understanding. Ground and neutral are not the same thing. Neutral is a current carrying conductor. Ground is for protecting in the case of a short from a hot leg,

If the load on a both 120v legs of a 240v are = there will be no current on the neutral. Any unequal load will be thru the neutral.

Ground and neutral are at the same potential as the earth with no load on the circuit. Once a load is returned thru a neutral it is no longer at earth potential, Ground will always stay at earth potential unless a short occurs.

You will find the ground in most cords are sized smaller than the hot and neutral. As it is not expected to carry any current for any length of time.

I have my coach plugged into a 30a 220v 4 wire circuit. It provides me all the power I need to run both airs, 70a charger/converter and microwave at the same time. One air and converter on one leg, the other air and microwave on the other leg.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
..............the other air and microwave on the other (30A) leg.

Wow! I can't usually do that at parks. You must have pretty good power.

Or perhaps our microwave is a hog.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your wisdom. Have always been impressed with the amount of knowledge out there and the willingness of the members to share it.I decided to take the double pole 30A out of my folks service panel and installed a 30A single pole. Used the circuit already in place ran to a dryer outlet. Replaced the dryer outlet with the 30A "travel trailer" receptacle, and used the black for current, white for my neutral and took the red wire out of service,(capped off with wire nut). Running one air conditioner and fridge with no issues.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelR:
Replaced the dryer outlet with the 30A "travel trailer" receptacle, and used the black for current, white for my neutral and took the red wire out of service,(capped off with wire nut).

Is there a ground?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it has been utilized on both ends.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post