Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Stuck threaded device, removal advise
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Stuck threaded device, removal advise
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Dadgummit! I have punched, twisted, froze, heated, drilled and did a fair amount of dedicated cussin' at this dad-blasted oil drain plug and it is still stuck! Chiseled it. Whacked it with a hammer and finally drilled a hole completely through it with hopes a nuclear easy-out would dislodge it. Now I am afraid I'll snap off the easy-out and really be in a pickle.

Looks like the oil pan has to come off and be transported to a machine shop ( at least I can get that for free). I have tried everything I can imagine. Anyone got a secret method you'd care to propose? Uhhhh, the oil pan only has 32-bolts holding it in place!

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of a head is or WAS on it? Is there anyway you can get a pipe wrench with a cheater pipe over same? Did you try tightening it first, or at anytime? It sounds like the threads are gulled. This has happened to many over the years, and I bet a truck stop mech. can provide some advise.

It ain't fun, and you know me, FUN IS GOOD.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Since you already have a hole in the drain plug, tap it for a pipe plug and use a pipe plug as your drain plug.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale, it started out as a 11/16th and is now somewhere around a 5/8 circle. :-) Tried the pipe wrench, no grip.

bill, I think you're on to something. I was wondering if that was possible. Where would one find such a piece of hardware? It'd be a lot easier than pulling that blasted pan! I'll hit the parts house tomorrow and ax 'em some questions.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, I would imagine you will have to consider a PIPE plug either 1/4", 3/8", but doubt 1/2" needless to say you must drill and cut threads for PIPE not BOLT threads. I would NOT use a BLACK pipe plug, but galv.

I wish you well my friend.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, one other thought. Gravity will be on your side while drilling, but I would still stick the drill bit into some THICK grease to catch and hold shavings. Also when drilling thru do NOT plunge through the last 1/16", but take it easy so as not to leave any larger chip in the pan.

Actually ron you need to get the orginal plug OUT as you are not going to be a HAPPY CAMPER knowing the problem. I am not saying it won't work, but it AIN'T the NASA way, FOR SURE. Or is it????

Dale

posted Hide Post
LOL, you pretty much got me pegged there Cuz. I had just about settled on a really heavy duty soda straw and some JB Weld but figured the straw might not hold up to the oil pan temps.

I am going to see if there is a supply house with a special socket for inpact tools that will fit overe this size bolt. My set (and the largest Sears had) was a bit small.

For dinosaur-driving, backwood hicks with limited social skills, you guys are all right in my book. :-) Thanks for the input. My very last option is to sell the rig to Gill and not tell him about the wooden stake serving as a drain plug. He'll be on here asking what kind of wood everyone uses in their drain holes in a few months. :-)

posted Hide Post
I am happy to report that cunning and engineering skills won out over gorilla-torque. After visiting six different parts/tool houses this morning, I finally resorted to the application of years of NASA training. The largest extractor I had was approximately 1/16" too small. I could not find a larger one and could not enlarge this one, so I reduced the head of the gimped-up drain plug. A side-ginder was my weapon of choice and the impact wrench popped it loose so easily it was pathetic to see what all I had been through and the solution was so simple! Duuuhhh.

I torqued the new one in to 110 lb-ft, that sound about right? :-)

posted Hide Post
Yes, 110 INCH POUNDS.

GOT TO LOVE THAT ron.

Dale

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
OK DALE FESS UP I'LL BET YOU FINALLY TOLD RON WHICH WAY TO TURN THE OIL PLUG FOR REMOVAL

RALPH

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ralph, I didn't want to hurt his feelings, you know those SCOOTERS drivers are part of the CARNIVAL break-down. You know the break-down LEFT ALL THE FREAKS BEHIND.
Dale

posted Hide Post
Don't think I was wondering about that! I must have repeated the mantra ("lefty-loosey, righty-tighty) a hundred times. :-)

posted Hide Post
ron, being serious for a minute, YES, I can be serious.

How did the process develop into the problem?

I know that probably the most important first step is to have the proper tool, and I try to use a 6-point socket whenever posible, or long boxed-end wrench. Often I have found it is difficult to get in the postition that will allow for the best loosening or tightening angle and if not then SCRAPED KNUCKLES, and ROUNDED BOLTS are often the result.

Just wondered how it all came about. NOT PICKING ON YOU, BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Dale

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron:
Dadgummit! I have punched, twisted, froze, heated, drilled and did a fair amount of dedicated cussin' at this dad-blasted oil drain plug and it is still stuck! Chiseled it. Whacked it with a hammer and finally drilled a hole completely through it with hopes a nuclear easy-out would dislodge it. Now I am afraid I'll snap off the easy-out and really be in a pickle.

Looks like the oil pan has to come off and be transported to a machine shop ( at least I can get that for free). I have tried everything I can imagine. Anyone got a secret method you'd care to propose? Uhhhh, the oil pan only has 32-bolts holding it in place!

Turn the wrench in the opposite direction with long and stout cheater pipe. If ya hadn't spent so much, your furgial nature whold now be laying the blame on the Monaco RV quick lube joint. :-))

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mercy! Dale, the drain plug was rounded when I looked at it for the first time. My screw-up was to try to get it off anyway and further rounding it. Then, simply having the right size bolt-remover would have made this soooo easy, but I couldn't find one. Things just kept getting a little more out of control with each try.

Hay Gill.