Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Axle Range Switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Axle Range Switch
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Steve Castner
posted
My Barth has an axle range switch in the dash. Photo attached.

Under what conditions should I use the switch? What is the highest speed advisable in low range?

Trans is AT 646 on a Cummins 6BTA5.9.

Thank you. I'm learning more every minute.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It's all about the RPM. Whatever you run for RPM in high range at highway speed (65MPH), then put it in low range to see what speed it reaches to match that RPM. You then have your answer.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
It's all about the RPM. Whatever you run for RPM in high range at highway speed (65MPH), then put it in low range to see what speed it reaches to match that RPM. You then have your answer.

Thanks Corey. When you owned a Barth, did you ever use the axle range switch? Do you have on in your Wanderlodge?

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
It appears that you have a two speed rear end. Something many trucks had, but never seen one in a RV. Usually was not enough room.

One word of caution. If it is a two speed NEVER shift it going down a mountain as it may slip between gears and you would really be free wheeling down the hill.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
It appears that you have a two speed rear end. Something many trucks had, but never seen one in a RV. Usually was not enough room.

One word of caution. If it is a two speed NEVER shift it going down a mountain as it may slip between gears and you would really be free wheeling down the hill.

Pretty cool. I will follow instructions and never shift except at full stop in neutral.

The switch may come in handy because the Cummins is only 190hp.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Corey. When you owned a Barth, did you ever use the axle range switch? Do you have on in your Wanderlodge?

I'm pretty sure the only vehicle I've ever owned with a split rear or dual range transmission was a CT90 Honda Trail 40 years ago.

The Wanderlodge has 500HP, but puts out 1450 ft lbs torque at 1200 RPM, so there is hardly a need for any transmission. Since it is equipped with an Allison 6 speed, there is always available power. All at a cost of 7MPG head bang

It would be great if you could take a photo of your switch, your rear end, and your transmission. We could determine if it is indeed a split rear or perhaps an aftermarket overdrive unit. All split rears I've ever seen are air actuated.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Drove a number of school buses while still in HS back in the 50s. Since they were all gas powered they either used vacuumn or electric to shift them. In this case he probably has air available.

Highly doubt it would be a aftermarket OD unit as I am assuming it is a pusher as it is on a spartan chassis and probably has a very short driveshaft.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post