Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    WARNING-MCC Chassis Bellcrank Failure
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

WARNING-MCC Chassis Bellcrank Failure
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of FordGuy62
posted
I want to get a warning out to all MCC chassis owners of a very serious and potentially life-threatening catastrophic failure of the steering bellcrank. I was completing the setup of my rebuilt MCC front end and making adjustments. While turning the steering wheel back and forth something didn't feel or sound right. I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth while I was underneath and I traced the problem to the bell crank. The bellcrank is essentially a section of steel tube with arms welded on. The welds on mine are broken, allowing the steel tube to rotate inside of the steering arms. It only rotates a few degrees until the jagged edges of the weld catch, but over time this will loosen up. Eventually the steering arms will no longer be "linked" to the steel tube and there will be no steering. Mine broke where the arms that connect to the tie rods are welded to the steel tube. It is possible that the welds connecting the drag link arm could break, so I recommend checking that as well. I will post pics of mine in a couple of days. I removed it (again) and took it to a certified welder to repair. IMHO the factory welds are pathetic. It looks like a single-pass, marginal quality weld. If others are as poorly constructed as mine, this could be a looming problem for a number of us. In all of the time and work I've put into this front end, it didn't occur to me to clean up those welded areas and inspect the welds. Lesson learned - never assume these manufactured parts are constructed with lifetime durability.

Posts: 40 | Location: Washington State | Member Since: 09-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
It has long been my perception, with limited knowledge and no personal experience, that the MCC chassis was known to be rather fragile. All too often futuristic things may be ahead of their time, but unable to stand the test of time (literally and in terms of marketability).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
I would credit this one to shoddy workmanship. The design is adequate, hurkey to be honest. The bellcrank is part of the original FMC design. The weld failed due to poor quality. I have no concern with the design and I am confident after re-welding that it will do the job just fine. After spending ample time underneath mine I wouldn't characterize the chassis as fragile.

Posts: 40 | Location: Washington State | Member Since: 09-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I see. glad you found the failed welds the way you did. I was glad when professional pre-trip-to-CA inspection of my Breakaway discovered loose steering gear attachment to frame. They also found some other significant issues that might have disrupted my trip, or worse. You are wise to spend the time to become very familiar with all aspects of your coach.

ps
"hurkey"? not in my vocabulary. wikipedia says a cheerleading jump. But, you mean _______ ??

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
I made up the spelling for "hurkey". Slang term for "stout" or "beefy". Probably derived from Hercules, so perhaps it should be "herc"... something. I'm not an English major. Smiler

Here are a couple of pictures of the broken welds on my bell crank. I'm not a photography major either... so they are what they are. Most of the cracking appears only as hairline, but the area where the weld fractured with a jagged edge is more visible as it has been grinding back and forth and is a little off of its original clocking in the photo.

I will post pictures of the repair when available.

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
okay... herculean

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nasty welds indeed! Looks like a Monday morning after the welder had a really hard weekend... confusion

Glad you found them when you did...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Did you consider replacing the bell crank with one made by Henderson/Super Steer? I replaced mine on the P30 chasis. The SuperSteer bell cranks are far superior in design and workmanship than the original GM parts.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the photo, I should have resized it first. I thought I had read earlier that this site will automatically resize photos. Must have been something else I read. The second photo didn't load, but this picture gets the point across.

I didn't even consider aftermarket for this part, since the FMC/MCC chassis parts are so rare and the design is unique. I wonder whether anyone else has changed these parts out to something aftermarket? I vaguely recall reading on MCR's site that they offered some steering upgrade parts, but the prices of those parts are very high. When this one is fixed I'm confident it will be fine. I can weld well enough to get by on a lot of things, but this one I am not confortable with. I know a guy who has done heavy duty frame and suspension mods and heavy equipment repair & fabrication all his life and is a certified welder. I'm leaving this repair to an expert. Wink

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I resized and posted it from my Photobucket account - the Barth account is being crotchety again. The auto-resize feature has not been working, so please resize before sending (when it works again). I suggest 8 or 9", 72 dpi, and compress to around 100K. We try to keep the size down because many Barthmobilers are on slow connections.

Please DO NOT send photos as attachments, as space on Barthmobile is limited.

Until the Barthmobile Photobucket account is repaired, please send photos by email to Bill N Y or me (email addies in our profiles).

UPDATE 3:05 PM: Barthmobile Photobucket is now accessible.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could You post this safety issue to the FMC site?
I know You are a member! Thanks ,I'll be checking My FMC tomo,,,,Next Year!!! Smiler

Posts: 1 | Location: Opelika, Al | Member Since: 12-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
Will do, something I had planned but hadn't gotten to yet.