Barthmobile Portal
Wired for AC??

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/7821028061

10-03-2003, 04:38 PM
davebowers
Wired for AC??
I have a 28 foot Regal with a single AC in the living room. I am thinking about having an additional AC installed in the center bedroom area. We really don't need the cooling that much but it gets so hot and humid up here.

I know have a fan/light there, does anyone have any quess about whether there is 120 wired to that area. I would say about 75% of Regals I have seen have two AC's so I am hoping that the 120 is already there.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 03, 2003).]
10-03-2003, 05:42 PM
bill h
Dave, do you have a 30 or 50 amp cord?Usually a 30 amp RV is not wired for a rear air conditioner, but Barths are often different. How big is your genset?

If you want to check for wires, Fluke makes a little LED pocket flashlight that is also an AC voltage detector. It flashes red when it is near a LIVE AC line. It will detect a live AC line through a lath-and-plaster wall.
Heck, it is worth the tenty dollars just to have such a neat pocket flashlight.

Is there a breaker for a second air conditioner?

Now, here's another possibility-------you could have wiring up there that is not connected to the circuit breaker panel. If you see a wire or two at the panel that is not connected to it, you could get lucky and find that one of them is for a rear air conditioner.

Dave, are you really sure you need a second air conditioner? I had a 28 foot fifth wheel that was cooled quite adequately by a single dometic air conditioner, except for 120 degree days in the desert. Same for my previous 27 foot MH. is your present unit cooling well and blowing well?
10-03-2003, 07:23 PM
davebowers
Hey Bill,

I have 50 Amp. And you are correct, I suspect I could handle 90 deg CA temps, but it gets so humid back here. We were down in Wisconsin last year when it was 90 deg and high humidity. The AC put out really cold air but just couldn't remove the humidity fast enough.

I will check the breaker. I didn't think of that.