Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Painting the Barth
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Painting the Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Well, I talked myself out of polishing 'Big Blue', and have now started striping paint etc. We're going to sort of do it on the cheap and not do the area from the windows to the roof because except for the front and rear caps, the paint is OK there. But we will do some touching up of those areas and some striping. So, here's my question: Does anyone have the Barth color codes from 1984/85? I have the original work order and it calls for 'Regency style-All silver'. But it doesn't give a name or a color code for the silver. It also calls for '132-5167' or something like that, around the windows. Not sure about the numbers cause I'm looking at a copy. The main striping is called 'Seaside Blue' (I think) NB147, then 14AZDA 85. All I know for sure is that there are three different blues for striping. One, a dark blue around the windows, a somewhat lighter blue for stripes that are about 2" wide, and then a sort of grey blue for a narrower strip. Any help out there?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
After reading some posts in the archives, I found some info on a sticker attached to something to the right of the radiator. The reference is to Dupont Centari paint and the silver is 713A+45 and the white is 817L or 817A. Now, all I need is the three blue colors.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I suspect that, even if you had the codes, what you bought would not match what has been on the coach for over two decades.

A good paint shop can mix paint to match your coach. But not all are good. I have had some very frustrating experiences with inexperienced and unskilled help, so ask around.

Sometimes I end up using their master paint color sample book out in the sunlight to match a factory car or truck color.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
If Tere can strip paint like she drives a go-cart that thing will be bare before the first frost Smiler

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
My 85 has the paint codes posted behind the front grill...

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing that I talked myself out of polishing the Barth. I'll post some pics later, but discovered that the left and right corners of the front cowling are not aluminum but plastic. Just think how much Tere would have had to do to make those bippies shine!!. Have the front and rear cowling stripped and all the areas that were silver. Will be buying the primer and paint next week. Will do as time permits but hope that all will be finished by DC 2009.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever strip all the paint and leave it bare aluminum? The Airstream effect.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Anyone ever strip all the paint and leave it bare aluminum? The Airstream effect.
You're kidding, right?

Why don't you join your good friends, Bill & Georgene Goodwind, and the rest of the Barthmobile gang, at our little GTG next fall? You'll get to see Lee's coach in person. Cool That's the only reason I'm going. Big Grin

2009 Nation's Capital Barthmobile G-T-G 10/9-10/12

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Shucks Bill, I thought you just wanted to see a glassnose for a change.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Shucks Bill, I thought you just wanted to see a glassnose for a change.
Psttt, just between me and you, ok... Don't tell Lee. I'm really going to see your coach. Wink

Bill NY

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, I thought you were just going so we could see Tere without a go cart!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I heard that !!

Actually, I've got a dine-o-mite game planned for the DC-GTG.....Everyone stands shoulder-to-shoulder in a 10' X 26' rectangle, I give everyone a clean microfiber rag and.......Well, I'll explain fully it when ya'all get here......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Actually, I've got a dine-o-mite game planned for the DC-GTG.....Everyone stands shoulder-to-shoulder in a 10' X 26' rectangle, I give everyone a clean microfiber rag and.......Well, I'll explain fully it when ya'all get here......

I had a high school teacher with an Airstream. It was referred to as his apple, because polishing it helped your grades.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tere noticed that one of the rivets that attaches the plastic front right cap is missing. The other rivets have a hole in them so I'm assuming that they are pop rivets. Question is, how long a rivet would you use to replace the one that's missing? Anyone that has ever had to take the caps off might have a good idea. Also will use the type of pop rivet that has a nice round head with no hole. Wish those had been available for Barth back in '85.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"...how long a rivet would you use?"
Stick a probe into the hole; depth determines the length, since rivet must go beyond the cap wall.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post