Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Won't start
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Won't start
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
After messin with the roof and a bunch of other stuff I decided to fire up the 454. A little spark and then nothing but cranking. Tried a little fuel in the quad, nothing, so pulled a wire and stuck in a screwdriver and have spark, so what is the problem? Wore down the battery trying to get a fire going so charging it now so we can try again. Never had any flooding or other problems before.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing you didn't wait til next Friday to try it. I sure hope it's nothing serious.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Danny, years ago when I was still in my teens an old man told me if you have compression, spark at the right time, and the right amount of fuel it will run. Have you checked to see if your choke is pulling off. if you had the rain we had check for moisture in your cap. I pour fuel in the Quad thru the vent tube check for a squirt thru the pump jets then replcace air cleaner before trying to fire up. good luck

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Weak spark maybe? Flooded out? Did Eddie Murphy stick a banana in your exhaust? Big Grin

Did it even try to kick or backfire?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Two considerations:

How old are the plugs? I had plugs with a rust stain down the side of the plug which I guess was diverting energy away from the plug tip to GND on the block. The plugs had less than 5000 miles on them, but were a couple years old. That is a problem from sitting too long.

How old is the HEI module?

Both of those ideas above are pointing to a weak spark.

Both of those ideas below are pointing to a poorly timed spark.

Is the vacuum advance tube to the canister on the distributor in good condition? Are the advance weight springs (under the rotor) still holding together?

Is the 12V line to the distributor seeing a nice voltage?

good luck!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'll second everything except the banana. It takes a potato to kill a 454.

Does the accelerator pump squirt? If so, a decent spark should make the engine at least snort or buck a little.

Inside the distributor, look for red rust around the coil and inside the cap. It is conductive.

How does the rotor look? Test ohms from the center wiper to the tip. There is a carbon resistor in some of them. I forget how many ohms it is, but it should not be open.

At the module, check for good clean connections and good wire condition. They break.

A bad coil will drive you crazy. They don't like the heat in a doghouse. I carry a spare.

If you need any info from the Chevy manual, I can go over to the lot and make some scans.

Wear safety goggles when cranking with the air cleaner off. Eyes don't heal.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check your vacuum hoses! We had a similar problem and resorted to starting fluid to get her to run, then we followed the broken hoses from the carb to the canister and the pcv valve. Once they were replaced it ran and started fine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Went out this morning to begin tearing down the distributor, but thought I'd give it a try first. After some cranking it started to sputter then cleared up and ran fine. I'm letting her rest a little while and I'll start her up and drive around for a while to see if everything is all right. I guess I must have flooded her last night.
On another note, the little exhaust popping that I thought was the starboard donut turns out to be a small leak at the back of the manifold where it bolts to the block. Some serious work involved now I'm afraid. I'll try cranking down the bolts first, but I'm sure I need a new gasket, which won't be done till after the GTG.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Now that you have it started, it would make sense to pull as many plugs as possible and read their condition. As many have stated, it could be a bad plug or a bad wire, but at the very least you can see if there is an obvious problem on one cylinder or if they all look similar in firing condition on the plug.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with the 78 Barth last week. I finally took off the fuel line at the carburetor until gas was pumping. I guess the fuel just went back into the tank after sitting for months.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that you have it started, it would make sense to pull as many plugs as possible and read their condition. As many have stated, it could be a bad plug or a bad wire, but at the very least you can see if there is an obvious problem on one cylinder or if they all look similar in firing condition on the plug.

Do you know the age and pedigree of your ignition wires? All P30 owners should carry a spare #8 wire. That one goes first, unless there is a heat sock.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
On another note, the little exhaust popping that I thought was the starboard donut turns out to be a small leak at the back of the manifold where it bolts to the block.

right side?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
454 exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking if they are not torqued in accordance with the procedure set by GM. from my 1976 Motors Manual the specs are: Clean threads with a wire brush; apply Anti-Seize and screw in finger tight; torque to 20 ft lbs starting with the top center, then bottom center and working your way towards each end (alternate top and bottom front to back). Use a good torque wrench and do not over tighten. Do not attach any clamps, wire holders or accessories to exhaust manifold bolts. Have a good trip!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
454 exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking if they are not torqued in accordance with the procedure set by GM

Or breaking the rear bolts.

quote:
Do not attach any clamps, wire holders or accessories to exhaust manifold bolts.

Except maybe the dipstick.

Danny, If you do pull the manifold, I have some suggestions that have worked for me on a coupla P30s and a few pickups. (although the trucks needed less help) Lemme know if you are interested.

This might be a good time to consider a set of Thorleys. After the proper Rain Dance, cast manifolds can be OK, but Thorleys are an improvement on several levels. The usually hook straight up to existing exhaust pipes if you use band clamps. You can go to the turbo mufflers, side dumps, and X pipes later, when time, money and inclination allow.

I think a few others here use them and may comment.

Installation is candy.

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Got home tonight and she fired right up, just like always.
I knew I'd get a Thorley recommend, and I'm considering it. Just have to check out the $$ and see what I can do. Right now we're prepping for the GTG and anything else will have to wait till after that.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Danny, if you are looking for a quickie solution to the leak I would use JB Weld. After the GTG you can replace the gasket or the headers. If you use the JB Weld, use a wire brush to get everything clean. Fill the gap with JBW and let it set for 24 hours. This is only a stop gap but will hold for a while.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post