Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Condensate
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Condensate
 Login now/Join our community

posted
It finally quit raining long enough that I could swim out to Gypsy Rose and see how she is doing. The rear window track was overflowed with water and the right side rear window was too. I'd sealed these guys up pretty good with goop before we left on our trip to "Sunny CA." (ha! it rained and snowed worse there than here!), and we had a lot of condensate problems on the trip, so I'm pretty sure it's not leaks. At least then I could wipe it up each morning. I've got a couple of those things that catch moister in the air in Gypsy, but I'm still getting a lot of water that they don't catch. Any suggestions? How about if I leave the roof vent fan running, or put a summer fan from the house in her? I noticed a big rental class C parked next to us New Years Day had really bad condensate too so it must be a common problem. Our old class C had so many holes in it we didn't have condensate.... just dew.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold weather outside, warm inside; add moisture from cooking, showers, and just breathing equals condensation on cold surfaces. High humidity climates makes it worse.
Ventilation (ceiling fan, etc) helps some, exhausting moisture at source, ie, hood when cooking, fan when showering helps a lot. Chemical water absorbers help a little. Running your roof airconditioner on coldest setting will remove water but can be uncomfortable. But the only serious solution is a dehumidifier (esentially a refrigeration unit that removes water by condensation on the refrigerated coils); cost $250+ and needs 110v. We have lived full time in our motorhome over many freezing winters and that is what we have learned.

------------------
North Idaho
1988 28' 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Your window tracks should have a slot along the bottom on the outside for drainage. If you sealed them up, you will make water incursion into your coach worse.

Make sure they are not plugged with dirt, pine needles etc.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
John,
During the winter I open a roof vent about an inch. This allows the air inside to remain the same humidity and temperature as the air outside. I've never had the first bit of trouble with condensation...and it keeps the air from becoming stale in the coach as well.
Mark

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post