Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Power Steering Pump Whine
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Power Steering Pump Whine
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
I have a noise coming from my engine. Sounds like a powersteering pump whine I guess. Whine increases with engine rpms. I changed the oil. No difference except I have fresh oil. I removed the ac belt and alternator belt. No difference. When I turn my steering wheel all the way left and right there is no difference. I checked the level of power steering fluid and its good. Sometimes after it warms up it goes away. Is there somthing else I should be looking at? Oh no glitter in oil. Thanks guys

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I had a GMC 1 ton pick-up and the 454 did that for several thousand miles before resolving the dilemma with a catastrophic waterpump failure. By the time I could get a stethoscope on the pump it would revert to quiet mode.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Some have a thermostatic fan clutch in the fan hub. Check for any play or noise when turning the fan by hand. There is a bearing in that hub.

You did not say if you had removed the power steering belt. Even if the water pump is not turning the engine will not overheat right away. Try removing that belt (you will have to anyway if you replace the pump) and check for noise.

If you have an emissions AIR pump, check that.

Admittedly not in the front of the engine, I have heard whining noise from the torque convertor in the transmission bell housing.

Let us know when you find the cause. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
hi!
When you say the whine increases with RPMs, is that an increase in volume, an increase in the frequency of the tone, both, or neither?

I am wondering about a vacuum leak, oscillating a diaphragm someplace, or perhaps a vacuum leak in the carburetor. I once had a 350 Chevy that was screaming because of some sort of gasket tear inside of a 2 barrel Rochester carburetor.

best of luck!
Matt

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After trying a few more things I went to Harbor Freight and bought a stethoscope and the good news is its not the powersteering pump OR anything in the front of the motor for that matter. Bad news to me is its the transmission. Not sure why I couldnt tell it was in the rear ( is there a thing as having no depth perception on your hearing lol ).
When I first got the rv I changed the fluid and filter and since the speedo does not work have no clue how many miles I put on it but not many. From what I have read it could be the pump cavitation because of the filter or a bad oring in the pickup tube letting it pull air. Could also be bad bearings in the torque converter. The whine is the same no matter if I am in park or N or D or R.
So simple stuff first. I am going to change the filter ( element ) and the fluid and see if that helps. If not then drop the trans. and change the torque converter I guess.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
There is a vacuum line from the back of the intake manifold to the transmission. Any chance that as a leak? It is a steel line, so after a few decades, rust might be a factor.

Does the transmission shift OK, automatically? If not, how about when you shift manually through the 3 forward gears?

Good work with the stethoscope!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Transmission shifts like it should. I didn't check for vacume leaks but will friday evening when I change out the filter.

posted Hide Post
I dropped the transmission pan this weekend to change my filter expecting the worse. The pan had some black sludge in the bottom but no metal, the fluid didnt smell burnt but was to dark. Installed new filter ( The kind with a metal mesh and not foam or what ever the cheap ones have ) and praise the RV gods of good travels, it fixed the whine and it shifts like a new one. Im sure it will need to be rebuilt at some point in the future but I think it will last many more miles. On a side note I was so happy I put on the door sticker I made.

Door Sticker

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Love the door sticker.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Yep , the sticker is pretty cool Cool

Glad to hear you found and stopped the noise .

Happy Motoring Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post