Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Holding tank capacities
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Holding tank capacities
 Login now/Join our community

posted
It would be great to know what our holding tank capacities are for our 88 31ft Barth Regal. Grey, Black, water, and hey LP and fuel tank would be great to. Any one have this info ? jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey. If i remmber right you multiply LxWxH of tank and divide by 241 = gallons.

Posts: 37 | Location: St. Paul. Mn. USA | Member Since: 04-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Preamble: The most accurate measurement is to empty a tank, then fill it from a reliable metered pump or containers.

For a cube or rectangle, multiply lengthXwidthXheight in inches and divide by 231 to get gallons.

Holding tanks are not usually perfect rectangles,though. The bottoms are usually sloped for drainage. If this is pretty uniform, use the average of the shallow height and the deep height.

For a cylinder, multiply the diameter in inches by itself, then multiply by .7854. Multiply that figure by the length in inches and divide by 231 to get inches. Propane tanks have rounded ends, so it gets hairy here, as the ends are not perfectly spherical or parabolic or such like. It gets difficult to calculate. I like to measure from one end to half way past where the other end cap weld seam is for the length. This is fairly close.

And then, for propane, multiply the capacity by .8 to allow for the bleed valve that is opened for filling.

A long time ago, the propane filler guy asked me, "want it full?". Without thinking, I said, "Yes". Some miles down the road, there was a very loud and scary bang and hissing. Liked to have a heart attack. The over pressure relief valve had done its job, and vented the excess pressure caused by heat expansion. The propane guy had indeed filled it to full rather than to 80%.

BTW, neither the panel indication or the needle indicator on the bottle can be trusted. Each has their quirks, and you will learn them eventually, as well as learning your usage patterns. Filling the propane tank is like voting in Chicago--do it early and often.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited January 09, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew Bill would know the right #. I was close,only of by ten. BRES.

Posts: 37 | Location: St. Paul. Mn. USA | Member Since: 04-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rear water tank calculates out to 25 gal (22x22x12). Guess I'd better take shorter showers. :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the informative replies everyone.
Now where's that confounded tape measure ?
jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post