Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    My CO Alarm went off
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My CO Alarm went off
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted
While working on coach recently, (cold here) my CO alarm went off, so I shut off heat and opened windows and vents and left. Next day I shut up everything as before and ran rear heat for a wile and all OK. Then shut of rear and turned on front heater and after a bit, the CO Alarm went off again. Did the window and vent thing again, and then proceeded to pull out the front heater.

I'm now trying to decide whether to replace heater with a variable output unit (about $650) or just 'cap it off'

'It's always something'

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what happened to mine. I replaced it with a two stage unit and am very happy with it. For most of the time it will run on low speed (low output) and is much quieter then on high speed, high output. I shopped around and got mine for about $450. This was for a 35K/18K BTU unit.

Make sure you check all the heat ducts to insure there is no restriction and that there is the needed amount of square inches of outlets. For mine I needed 48 square inches (4 4" ducts), originally I had only 3 1/2 ducts. 3 were a full 4", 1 was completely blocked, and the one in the bath was reduce to 2".

Without adequate air flow, the burner will get much hotter and burn thru as yours did. Yes, there is supposed to be a air flow switch BUT, these do not fully protect the burner housing.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thats when you're happy as can be that things are working as they should (CO alarm) to alert you. If it wasn't for that, I don't want to think what the results could have been.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed for info on ducts, I have 4 4" ducts, 2 under the couch, and 2 under the kitchen cabs. They may be crushed though, I'll make sure they are good.
The least expensive unit I could find, that I would want, is at Tweetys for $642 with free shipping. Do you remember any details on one less expensive?
Thanks

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Wow that brings back scary memories. I have a 1950 36x8 trailer we made into our deer camp. We put in a CO2 detector and every time you would go out the door the darn thing would go off. We thought the detector was defective. Why would fresh air make it go off. Well I pulled the heater and replaced with a direct vent heater and was going to use the other one at home in a shed. Took the heater all apart and there was a crack running the entire height on the inside of the heat exchanger. You couldn't see without a mirror and the crack was 1/2 wide confusion . No wonder the CO detector went off when you opened the door. It messed the draft and back drafted into the trailer. How we are alive is amazing. Be careful with your heaters and water heaters. You only get one life. Unless your a cool cat ROTFLMAO

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
OK people, we all know that CO2 is carbon dioxide which is the fiz in your soda drink, and in that frosty fire extinguisher, and what happens when you exhale, and that CO is carbon monoxide which is odorless and tasteless and will displace oxygen and kill you which is a not a good thing.
Wink Wink

HTH

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
You got me Jack Carbon Monoxide not dioxide. Who would want a cold frosty without fizz?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post