Barthmobile Portal
Rotten Eggs

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/7601062191

06-19-2006, 09:59 PM
dv
Rotten Eggs
Has anyone ever replaced the rod that goes down the middle of the hot water heater or in a RV water heater do you have to replace the whole unit? It's working just fine and is an elecrtric/gas unit which is really nice, except for the smell that is. Before my son-in-law passed away I had someone to advise and fix this kind of problem, now I'm on my own except for the fine expert advice I always get from you guys. This is for BIG B, not little B! I'm almost down to only one :-(

Thanks again
06-19-2006, 10:14 PM
timnlana
Doug:

To clean things like your water heater I have used stuff that is sold to clean milking machines. Mix with water leave it in for a while and flush with fresh water. If the smell is caused by a calcium build up this stuff will clean it off metal surfaces.

This is based on the guess that the smell you are having fun with to is the smell of the water that comes out of the unit.

Timothy
06-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Ed Chevalier
I would take the rod out and clean it thoroughly. It's supposed to stop corrosion, but it can be a smelly mess. While it's out, you can hose out the water heater.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads
06-21-2006, 10:29 AM
dv
Thanks Ed. All fixed and smelling pretty (well not at all which is what I want)
06-21-2006, 01:15 PM
fred weeks
Doug Vance: I'm not too smart on how to reply to your reply re: the tail lights that should fit a 91 breakaway, so I'm using this medium to contact you. Thanks for your reply and offer to sell. I don't have any idea what they are worth so if you could put a price on them fob your place that would be fine. Thanks Fred

fred weeks
06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
tom vernon
I had the same type of problem with my fresh water tank, believe it or not. I mixed 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons water and sloshed it around in the tank (drove around in the yard). After running the bleach water through all systems includung the heater I drained it all out and flushed the system. Much better now.